Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

June 1st, 2018 18:00

Installing NVMe SSD in Precision 5820 / FlexBay

Hi all,

I was advised by Dell Support to buy the following product when I asked them for suggestions on a second drive in my Precision 5820.

A week, and $250 later, all I got was this gum-stick-sized SSD, with no case or holder of any sort. How do I install this in my machine's FlexBay slot? There's already one in there (factory installed), but it is encased properly, so it fits like it should.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/visiontek-pro-solid-state-drive-500-gb-internal-m2-2280-pci-express-31-x4-nvme/apd/aa133375/storage-drives-media

I have been unsuccessful in getting support from Dell on installing this, so I am turning to the community for help.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you.

PS - I'm running Ubuntu 16.04, but all I need is guidance on the (physical) installation.

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

June 4th, 2018 04:00

Hi samirbajaj,

Here's a short video showing how to install the drive in the Flexbay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tc70Mosa2I

If you don't have the second bay/module to fit it in, the kit part number is 400-AVDR.

I hope this helps.

2 Posts

June 14th, 2018 17:00

How do I install the little box box this person is inserting into this computer. I need to access the nvme controller of a precision 5820 in the flex bay. Just like in the picture, just like in the video.

Thanks.Screenshot (69).pngScreenshot (70).pngScreenshot (67).png

1 Message

August 28th, 2018 13:00

My problem is similar to that of the OP, except that I do not have any NVMe drives currently installed. I believe you are saying that the silver box pictured in the video is part number 400-AVDR, but it is not clear to me how I might purchase this part. What is the part called? If I do not have any SSD drives currently installed in my 5820 frame, do I need to first install a controller of some sort?

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

August 29th, 2018 06:00

Hi kyleframp,

Hopefully this article will help you find what you need:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln312251/upgrading-storage-in-the-dell-precision-5820-7820-7920-tower-workstations?lang=en

Please be aware that systems with Xeon W CPUs support two NVMe drives in the Flex Bays, whilst Core X Series CPUs support only one.

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/precision-5820-workstation_owners-manual2_en-us.pdf  (page 69)

To purchase the parts, go to the Dell website and click on the Chat or Call sidebar on the right hand side of the page and they will be able to assist.

1 Message

October 29th, 2018 07:00

I'm in the same position as the OP. It's hard to believe that the experience here is so bad for end-users. Why aren't we able to purchase the required part on Dell's website? Why do I need to contact customer support just in order to purchase this part? Why isn't it made clear in the owner's manual (or anywhere else) that in order to add NVMe storage to these workstations, a customer must navigate a labyrinthine series of online forums?

Because of experiences like this, I won't be recommending Dell workstations to anyone any time soon.

1 Message

January 7th, 2019 21:00

How can I purchase a 400-AVDR? Dell says it’s an internal part number that can’t be bought :(

2 Posts

January 29th, 2019 03:00

I too fell into this trouble
Dell itself is not able to sell the Bay for the additional M.2 disk

I was told that I would have to order a new workstation

I also had to run on the internet before discovering that once I bought the new M.2 disk I could not mount it

I'm disappointed with Dell, and its technical support that blames you for buying the 5820 workstation and you're ready to not implement it with original DELL accessories

2 Posts

January 29th, 2019 03:00

6 Posts

June 1st, 2019 19:00

@DELL-Alasdair R wrote:

The part number you listed, when you Google it, comes up as the Flexbay for a PowerEdge server and not the T5820.

Randy

Hi samirbajaj,

Here's a short video showing how to install the drive in the Flexbay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tc70Mosa2I

If you don't have the second bay/module to fit it in, the kit part number is 400-AVDR.

I hope this helps.

2 Posts

December 6th, 2019 08:00

To clarify my previous post, the backplane is necessary for a flexbay that wasn't shipped with M2 drives.  The backplane mounts in the flexbay with two screws, and the two cables plug into the motherboards miniSAS plugs.

If your Precision had 1 M2 drive when shipped, you won't need the backplane.  You'll only need a 2nd M2 caddy (module). The 66HXV. That's a module within a module.  When you find the part on eBay or wherever, make sure it has the inner M2 module.  

You can only mount two M2's in a 5820/7820.  I think the 7920 can handle 4.  I don't have a 7920 to look at.

Look at 

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln312251/upgrading-storage-in-the-dell-precision-5820-7820-7920-tower-workstations?lang=en

These parts can be found used. Good Luck.

2 Posts

December 6th, 2019 08:00

I just did this to a new 7820 (same flexbay as 5820).  Here's the part you need if the system wasn't shipped with M2 drives installed in flexbay.  

Dell Precision FlexBay PCIE  SSD M.2 NVMe Backplane 575-BBSH 

The caddy itself is a 66XHV  or https://picclick.com/Dell-M2-M2-NVMe-Flex-Bay-Module-66XHV-153301985977.html.

Unfortunately, Dell is a dumpster fire these days and can't answer simple questions, like how do I buy the above part.  So don't waste your time with Dell, they won't help.

So, you need the backplane that will support 2 m2's - it plugs into the motherboard's miniSAS receptacles  (2 plugs and the caddy (module) - it's a module within a module.  See the above link.

And finally, just to rub salt in the wound, Dell produced this guide for upgrading the storage on your 5820/7820/7920 with the above listed parts even though they apparently have no intention of selling them to you.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln312251/upgrading-storage-in-the-dell-precision-5820-7820-7920-tower-workstations?lang=en

What happened to you Dell?

7 Posts

December 8th, 2019 09:00

You can purchase the Bay (flex bay) with the PCIeNVMe SSD carrier as I have recently done this for my Precision 5820 Tower.  I did have to go through a chat with   customer service (sales) in order to order these kits.  https://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/04/category/contact-information/sales

The Flex bay is Kit 575-BBSH:   M.2 Module for FlexBay incl. c carrier 58/78/7920 Towers

This module contains -  1. M.2 Carrier; 2. Thermal Pads; 3. M.2 3.5" Module Bay; 4. Capacity Label sheet for M.2 Carrier

You will also need Kit 750-ABDF:  Convert HDD FlexBay to PCIe SSD FlexBay, 58/78 Towers

Kit 750-ABDF: Allows user to convert FlexBay 1 (top front Flex Bay) into a PCIe enabled FlexBay.

This module contains - 1.  Replacement metal bracket; 2. PCIe SSD Backplane (2-port); 3. Two OccuLink to miniSAS HD x4 cables to connect to motherboard; 4. Thermal sensor cable

575-BBSH- Allows user to add a front loadable M.2 NVMe (PCIe Gen3 x4) SSD into the system

Now installing the kit 750-ABDF can be a real problem, as Dell provides no instructions with the kit, and the Dell instructional videos allegedly installing the kit are not helpful (worthless in my opinion), there is no instruction in the 5820T user manual, and I could not find any helpful stuff on the internet (specifically, where the cables connect to the system board.

ALTERNATIVELY-- You can purchase a PCIe adapter that allows you to install an M.2 PCIe Gen3 NVMe SSD in one of your PCIe slots.  Some available cards allow for more than one SSD to be installed. Examples:

Dell Ultra-speed Drive Quad Pcie X16 Adapter Card Up To 4x Nvme M.2

SIIG Full Speed M.2 M Key Nvme SSD to PCIe Adapter, PCI Express X16 Card with Heatsink, Supports Windows 7/8/ 10, Supports 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 Form Factor M.2 SSDS 

StarTech.com M2 PCIe SSD Adapter - x4 PCIe 3.0 NVMe/AHCI/NGFF/M-Key - Low Profile and Full Profile - SSD PCIe M.2 Adapter (PEX4M2E1) 

7 Posts

December 11th, 2019 11:00

To add to my previous reply:

When you install the kit 750-ADBF necessary to upgrade to the M.2 NVMe SSDs, you will wind up with two (2) front flex Bay positions that will support a M.2 module (Kit 575-BBSH).  What I found was that you now have two (2) flex bay positions that will not recognize SATA or SAS Hard drives. (I had three SATA hard drives installed and one empty flex bay position).  Now I can only use two of the flex bay positions for the SATA hard drives. If you install a SATA HDD module in one of these front flex bays configured for M.2 module, you get a flashing amber LED on the flex bay "door" and the SATA drive is not shown in Computer Management.  

SEE following DELL support article for explanation:

Dell Precision Workstation 5820 / 7820 / 7920 PCIe NVMe FlexBay Slots Will Not Detect SATA / SAS Drives

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln313880/dell-precision-workstation-5820-7820-7920-pcie-nvme-flexbay-slots-will-not-detect-sata-sas-drives?lang=en

Issue Summary:  

Precision Workstation 5820 / 7820 / 7920 towers with the PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive (SSD) FlexBay option can be purchased with up to 2 PCIe NVMe SSDs. These drive bays will not detect SATA or SAS drives if they are installed.

The PCIe NVMe SSD drive FlexBay has the physical data and power connector to allow a SATA or SAS drive to be physically installed. However, the FlexBay is only configured to communicate with PCIe NVMe SSDs. SATA or SAS drives installed in this FlexBay will not work due to an incompatibility with the drive controller.

Resolution:

You will need to purchase a different configuration with SATA SSDs to have SAS or SATA drive compatibility. Alternatively systems can be upgraded through customer conversion kits to add additional drive bays based on need.

1 Message

December 27th, 2019 13:00

How can i buy it?

4 Posts

January 26th, 2021 17:00

I also did this upgrade on my 5820, bought the Kit 575-BBSH & Kit 750-ABDF along with a nice 2TB HP EX950 waiting to be pushed in.  The upgrade is a bit involved and Dell's videos were not very helpful.  In my case the to occulink-to-miniSAS cables provided were to short to reach the mobo ports (which has to hurdle over a fan block, in the 5820 at least).  I managed to barely (mm to spare) plug in one cable and connect the nvme drive but no hope of ever connecting a second without finding a longer internal cable which dell doesn't sell.  

To get around buying another flex bay tray (750-BBSH, ~$150?) and searching for a cable from the likes of supermicro (~$50?), together costing nearly as much as the additional nvme drive, I went a different route.  I ended up buying another EX950 and just bought a simple sabrent nvme to pcie expansion card ($15) and put it in an empty pcie x16 slot on my dell board.  Well, it worked but it is operating at nearly half the specs as my original nvme drive plugged into the flexbay.  Ugh.  It's still fast but nothing like the exact same nvme ssd drive plugged in via the flex bay kit.  I don't get why there would be such a dramatic difference between an nvme drive connected via an pcie expansion card vs dells PCIE0/PCIE1 motherboard ports that the flexbay connects to.

No Events found!