Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

May 21st, 2015 21:00

R710 - W1628 after increasing RAM from 48GB to 72GB ?

So I have an R710 with twin quad 2.8 proc, four 1TB SATA drives and twin "eco" PSU both powered. According to a KillaWat, a single PSU is pulling about 150w, when both are online, each is pulling about half that at 75W.

The RAM config was 12x4GB total of 48GB. I bought 6x4GB additional to populate the empty slots aiming to go 18x4GB = 72 total.

However, after installing the RAM, the server locks into a reboot cycle claiming a W1628 error that there isn't enough watts. Nothing else changed. I can't fathom 48GB drawing another 850W (assuming the power supplies operate accumulate as 2x500W) or another 350W if the "max" is only one PSU. Should I really be needing the 870W PSU when I haven't added anything heavier like more drives ?

According to DRAC, the PSU firmware is 08.04.00 and everything else appears to check out.

Any suggestions ?

5 Posts

May 22nd, 2015 14:00

So here is the "support" reply from the place I bought the server....shaggy dog story or true ? My problem with this is that the server can't draw "more power" than there is to load it regardless of what it "thinks" it might need. That would be like my kettle noticing I filled it up and decided to apply more WATTS to boil it in the same time as a half fill...

I know it doesn't make sense but DELL made it that way. Once you populate the last bank in the channel it will automatically require you to use 870W again Dell system setting not ours. Think about it like this the server is built so that the motherboard assumes extremities it assumes that if you are filling the last banks it needs to be prepared for 16GB dimms not four so it acts accordingly.

2 Posts

June 3rd, 2015 14:00

I have the same issue, with 2 Dell PowerEdge R710's. 

Each of the R710's have redundant 870W power supplies and 2 CPUs per R710. On one of these, I have updated to the latest 6.4.0 BIOS.

I mention this so that smcknight can know that having 870W power supplies does not remedy the situation.

I have installed 18 4GB RAM modules (all of the same make & model).

One R710 has 18 of these installed:

SK Hynix: HMT451U6BFR8C-PB

4GB 1Rx8 PC3-12800U

The other R710 has 18 of these installed:

Samsung

M378B5173DB0-CK0

4GB 1Rx8 PC3-12800U

I can get both R710's to boot with 48GB of RAM if I remove the DIMMs from slots: A7, A8, A9, B9, B8 & B7.

With all 18 slots full, neither on of these R710 POSTs, and I get a message on the front panel stating that there is a memory configuration error, check DIMMs.

I a sure that I am misunderstanding something, but I am unsure of what it is.

5 Posts

June 3rd, 2015 15:00

I guess I should finish out how the movie ended ;-) So I didn't get any memory configuration errors unlike BROTHAZ, just a BIOS message there wasn't enough jigawatts available.

I installed a pair of 870W PSU and what do you know, the 73GB of 18x4 DIMMS were no longer a problem. The bit I don't understand (unless it is really just down to devious BIOS programming by Dell) is that before the additional memory, I was drawing about 150W and after the uprated PSU and the extra memory I'm apparently only maxing out (even during boot) at 225W so WHY were a pair of 537W PSU not able to handle that? I smell a conspiracy upsell theory...

2 Posts

June 4th, 2015 07:00

Thanks for the follow up smcknight, I appreciate it. Good to hear that your setup is now working - and I stand corrected on the PSU's playing a role (at least in your case).  :)

If I happen to get my setup figured out, I will post what I find here.

Thanks!

No Events found!