Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2004 22:00

PowerEdge 400SC monitoring of fan speed and CPU temp in Windows

Does Dell provide thermal monitoring software?  If no, what 3rd party products are known to be accurate and compatible with the 400SC? 

2 Posts

April 17th, 2004 06:00

Motherboard Monitor (mbm5360.exe) was suggested to me so I downloaded, installed, and configured it for Intel 875PB(?). It provides temperature readout for CPU, case, and ??? something else. Sorry, my 400SC is not my online computer so I can only offer memory of a brief try-out of this program. Browsing through screen after screen of setup selections for alarms and other monitoring functions gave me a glimpse of the depth of this software. Very impressive, but it looked like it would take hours for me to "noodle" sense out of it. Sorry, I also don't recall where I found it, but if download.com (my favored shareware site) doesn't have it I bet doing a Google search would turn it up. If you check it out I'd like to hear of your discoveries and comments.

9 Posts

April 19th, 2004 01:00

Thanks, I've tried that one (the third temperature is chipset temp, I think), and while it's chock full of stuff, it doesn't read the fan rpm from the 400sc.  I also question the accuracy of it's readout, as according to MBM5, my 3.2ghz P4c hit 77 degrees Celcius under 100% load.  According to Intel's processor spec, the CPU is supposed to clock it self back once the CPU hits 70 degrees to keep from overheating.  It's supposed to clock back with no intervention from software or BIOS settings, so... either MBM5 is way off, or there's something wrong with my CPU.  (Or I don't know what else.)

I've ordered the better heatsink and fan assembly which ships with the 3ghz+ models (I upgraded a 2.4c) from Dell spare parts in the hopes of bringing CPU temp down.  I don't want to fry my new 3.2ghz CPU, or lose performance because of the thermal trip of the safety feature.

If anyone else has CPU temp readings of their CPU under full load, using MBM5 or any other software, please post 'em for comparison.  Don't forget to include CPU speed.  Thanks.

2 Posts

April 19th, 2004 07:00

Scouting the Intel website I found two other possibilities you might consider ... and of course if you do, or have, clue us in. The info page for "Intel Active Monitor" says it monitors temps and triggers alerts. It can also provide info on CPU & speed, memory , cache, etc. I don't know though if it is a static read once for CPU speed or if it's updated as you require.

"Intel Desktop Control Center" is a fancy piece of work which looks like a Star Wars dashboard and displays just about everything! The CPU speed indicator resembles a digital speedometer so I'm pretty sure it's constantly updated. Three temp indicators are along side. It has config tabs for preferences, reporting, and "tune" ... maybe tune-up options??? Along with what looks like an astrick at the bottom of the page I screen captured it says, "Available for ... D865PERL and D875PBZ only" A readme file cautions about setting fan speeds too low and other if's ands and buts like it only works with XP and Intel's latest bios drivers.

My effort has moved to SATA drives and sound system hookups. Any chance you've figured out if a "front - rear" quad (two stereo miniphono jacks) will work with 400SC's built-in audio? I've read something about autosensing audio jacks but ... ???? Might be easier for me to install a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Santa card and get XP drivers.

Do you have a worldly use for a 3.2ghz cooking along at full speed? Ha! What impressed me on first look at 400SC was the HUGE fan and duct for CPU cooling. My old P4 1.6ghz is cooled with a massive on-chip fan that revs up like a Yamaha (motorcycle) while I can't even hear the new 400SC. I think just speeding up that huge fan would pull out a heck of a lot more heat. "IDCC" might let you do that. Please lemme know!

10 Posts

October 22nd, 2004 14:00

Hey I have a dimension 8200 case but with a Poweredge 400sc motherboard. I was wonding if my fan was ok for my 3.2 ghz p4 chip. I have one of those big heatsinks with the coils on it too. thanks!
No Events found!