Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2003 01:00

Backwards 32-bit PCI?

I recently bought a 600sc and when I opened the case to put a sound card in the 32-bit pci slot the card slot is backwards? I am at a loss i don't know what type of slot this is or what can be used with it can someone let me know what type of slot is this and where can i get a sound card to work with it?

card:    |_____________________| |_____|

slot:      |_____| |_____________________|

1 Message

July 9th, 2003 01:00

You need to buy a better quality sound card.  I have the exact same machine and had to buy a Creative Labs Soundblaster Live.  The newer PCI devices have two slots thats why your old card wont work.

Good Luck

2 Posts

July 9th, 2003 02:00

Can you let me know the model number of your sound blaster live card? I just bought the card and the slot inside the pc is in the opposite direction than the card is. There are two slots on the card but transversed from the motherboard.

The only way I could put it in is if i flipped the card so it was pointing inside of the case not outside through the metal cover.

6 Posts

July 9th, 2003 09:00

I think that the slots are 64 bit PCI slots and should be backwards compatible with 32-bit PCI.  The only down side, which you have found, is that some older PCI card do not cater for this new slot, new cards have the 'notch' in the right place.  I don't think it's a case of having a better quality sound card, more just like buying a new card that supports the new slot type. 

14 Posts

July 9th, 2003 12:00

The slots are 3.3 volt PCI 2.1 compliant slots.

5 Volt       |_______________________| |______|

3.3 Volt    |______| |_______________________|

Universal |______| |________________| |______|

So, you need either a 3.3 volt or a universal card. The problem is some companies have the circuit boards for universal but the card actucally does not work at 3.3 volts so those kind of cards will not work in the server.

@Warkscol wrote:

I think that the slots are 64 bit PCI slots and should be backwards compatible with 32-bit PCI.  The only down side, which you have found, is that some older PCI card do not cater for this new slot, new cards have the 'notch' in the right place.  I don't think it's a case of having a better quality sound card, more just like buying a new card that supports the new slot type. 

1 Message

February 6th, 2004 03:00

Hello,

Shoot, i feel dumb now, lol. I returned a pair of systems i purchased a while back just for this reason. Oh well, next time i'll know what to do.

Thx guys

No Events found!