Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

11 Posts

October 10th, 2019 15:00

R720 and drive firmware upgrade behind RAID card

I have a used server and according to the service tag inventory, I have original drives. Before I wipe the OS and start over, I want to update the firmware on all the drives, run SMART checks and then get rid of any drives that are failing or marginal. I read the instructions for the firmware update here and downloaded the windows package:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=294cv&oscode=ws8r2&productcode=poweredge-r720

The notes state the it won't apply to a degraded array (the array IS degraded, hence why one of the steps is to put firmware that mitigates some false failure reports), and on running the update it states that the platform is "Not supported" (not sure what that means even - the release notes include my ST3600057SS drives specifically). I feel like this package isn't meant for drives that are part of a RAID array.

Some googling brought me to something called "Nautilus", which I found here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=125p6&oscode=ws8r2&productcode=poweredge-r720

This also claims to support my drives, but on running it the results say drives pass some test, but the line "no update" along all of them means it thinks these are not supported drives. The release notes do say the ST3600057SS are supported though.

Screenshot:

screenshot-dt 2019-10-10 at 6.39.08 PM.png

It also seems like Dell has their own numbering for drive firmware that is not the same as what the drive reports (ie: "A09" vs. "000B" or "0008").

Any idea how to get these updated?

• 

8.8K Posts

October 11th, 2019 07:00

Sporkman,

Would you confirm why the Virtual Disk is showing as degraded, is there a failed drive or does everything appear intact, but still shows as Degraded? If so then that is likely due to the controller being out of date. 

What I suggest is that you download and boot to the R720s Platform Specific Bootable ISO found here to update the server and drives. 

Let me know what you see.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

October 11th, 2019 07:00

*deleted*

11 Posts

October 11th, 2019 13:00

I did upgrade everything I could via the iDrac interface, including the PERC controller.

I'm trying a boot of your recommended tool as well just to see if it confirms the PERC is up to date.

The array truly is degraded - it's RAID 5 and one of five drives is marked bad, 2 marked failing. Before I toss them, I want to update the firmware, as it seems there is a critical change related to drive health reporting.

11 Posts

October 11th, 2019 17:00

This is odd, the ISO you linked to ends up here after a fairly lengthy boot process:

screenshot-dt 2019-10-11 at 8.33.27 PM.png

Every self-test and diagnostic I've run from within the idrac interface comes up OK so not sure why this is unable to "get the inventory".

Also while I have 5 seagate cheetahs in here, and the service tag tells me this server shipped with the same model drive, is there a way I can know for sure that these are in fact dell-branded drives and that I shouldn't be trying to instead be using Seagate's firmware updater?

• 

8.8K Posts

October 14th, 2019 08:00

Do you have the part number for the drives?

11 Posts

October 15th, 2019 21:00

Weird, I could have swore I replied to this already yesterday. Probably hiding in a forgotten browser tab somewhere...

Anyhow, drive models are in my first post above - all are Seagate ST3600057SS.

The drive labels all say "Seagate" and look like your typical Seagate drive.

• 

8.8K Posts

October 17th, 2019 12:00

IS there a PPID # on the drive?

11 Posts

November 4th, 2019 11:00

Sorry, not sure what a PPID is.

Here's some pictures...

11 Posts

November 28th, 2019 00:00

Anything?

No Events found!