Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2007 16:00

wireless "N" card and Westell Versalink modem/router(buying new notebook)

Hi Everyone,
     I am spec'ing out a new Dell notebook and I was wondering if the internal wireless card 108.11n will work with my Westell VersaLink router/modem 108.11g. I bought a Linksys 108.11n card for my older Dell notebook, but it would only connect at 11Mbps instead of the 54Mbps. Linksys, said I guess we oopps'ed it won't work with all routers and modems like we thought. So I was just wondering if the Dell 108.11n internal will work before I buy it.

Thank You
Rick

2 Posts

November 18th, 2007 23:00

Well I'd imagine that it is because you need to upgrade your router and/or internet provider to get a faster connection because the N card will only go as fast as your router/internet provider.

14.4K Posts

November 19th, 2007 00:00

the N card should drop back to "G" speeds, which is 54Mbps. As you have found out not all do. now as to upgrading your router/modem if this is the modem that you need to connect to your provider then unless the have spec'd out another modem with 802.11N you will need to stick with what you currently have, or you could just use the modem part and buy a "N" router seperately.
Keep in mind that the "N" spec is still in the draft stages and a lot of the claims are not being met by the current hardware on the market...
Also remember that the speed of the network will be determined by the spec....A,B,G,N not the speed of your internet connection which in most cases will be a lot faster....

48 Posts

November 19th, 2007 22:00

Thanks for all your inputs, I called Verizon and after 2 hours of being switched from sales to tech to billing to the man in the moon and me telling the tech support guy about how a-b-g and n are all different and not just a different number in the part number, and run at different speeds I finally was switched somehow to "Shipping". Believe  it or not the guy who knew the most of anyone was the shipping guy...LOL. He knew right away what I was talking about and what I wanted. He said he don't have any 108.11n router/modems because it is still just on paper and the FCC has not given it the go ahead yet, so Verizon won't give them out or sell them. Knowing the government, I guess it'll be like 15 years or so.

I guess I should get it installed in the laptop, and either just use the westell I have and hope I get 54Mbps out of it, or like you said, get a linksys or Belkins router, or router/modem.
What do you all think about that? Please let me know.

Thanks for your time.
Rick

14.4K Posts

November 19th, 2007 22:00

I would go ahead and get what you spec'd and see how it goes...no sense in running out and spending extra on a router if the new system will hit at 54 which i am thinking it will.
I would be caucious about buying a router/modem combo unless you can be almost 100% sure it would work with verizon...i would stay with the westell and if necessary get a seperate router later

48 Posts

November 20th, 2007 00:00

Thanks, that's just what I was thinking. I'm sure the "n" card will be approved someday by the FCC otherwise Dell and all the other companies wouldn't be selling it now. I just want to stay a step ahead since it's built into the computer. As for the Westell VersaLink router/modem I really like it and have not had any problems with it for like 2 years now, so I'd like to stick with it and wait it out at 54Mbps until Verizon releases the 108.11n. I just hope Dell's internal card connects at 54Mbps like it says it will with a "g" router. Linksys said theirs would but they lied..LOL:D
Thanks for all the help.

Rick

48 Posts

December 3rd, 2007 18:00

Hi,
Well I ordered it and received my new loptop last Friday. (specs below)
I went ahead and got the wireless-N card. It only connects with my Westell router/modem at 11Mbps. It skips the g and reverts to b. Guess I have to shop around for a wireless-N router.
Any suggestions?
oh the new laptop is great, bigger then I thought, but working great.
Thanks

Rick

No Events found!