Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2005 17:00

is the network card the same as the ethernet card or network adapter?

i have had my dell pc 2400 for about 2-3 years and never had problems with connecting to the internet.  i was able to connect to a wireless network using a external linksys wireless box, but moved into a new place that has the modem and wireless router.  the comcast cable rep came over yesterday but said i needed a new ethernet card because it was my computer and not the connection from the router or modem to my computer.  if i do need a network card what is the best and most economical card to get?  do i need an 10/100 LAN card, an instant gigabit network adapter, or a wireless-G PCI adapter?  we get our internet connection through comcast and the router and modem is in my room.  my roommate has no problem getting online right now because she has a notebook that is working through this internet connection.  as you can see i don't know much about computers!  can someone help me?  i have windows XP if that helps!?

12K Posts

June 6th, 2005 17:00

The 2400 should have an onboard (built into) the motherboard, or at least my 2400 system does.  If for some reason it does not, there is no real need for a Gigabit network card, unless you transfer lots of data, stick with the 10/100.

The built in card will work with a wired router of which all wireless routers are also wired routers, but if you want to conecct wirelessly, look for an 802.11g model that matches the model of your router.  Stay away from any 802.11 pre n cards.

June 10th, 2005 00:00

Yes the network card is the same Ethernet card or network adapter. Well really  and ethernet card is a type of network card.

I have a 2350 and it has a build in network card. I also have High speed internet and a wireless Linksys router.

I connnect the High speed internet modem to the wireless router, the router has 4 network port, I have my Dell connected to one of this ports. I also have a laptop with built in 802.11 G network card therefore I can connect to internet wireless in my laptop.

Your PC should have a built in network card, look for behind the CPU you must see two conectors(RJ 11 and RG45) like a phone jack, one is the modem and the other is the network card.

If you have the modem in your room ,you do not need and wireless adapter. But If you decide to buy a wireless networ card for your computer I suggest the type 802.11 G rigth now it cost a litle bit more than a ethernet card.

No Events found!