Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2016 10:00

Network controller driver

Hello,

I recently reinstalled windows 8.1 64 bits on my laptop and the wireless isn't working, I can't seem to find the right network controller driver.

My laptop is an Inspiron 14 3442

Hardware ID for the network controller driver: PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0036&SUBSYS_020C1028&REV_01

Network adapter: Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

Can anyone tell me what to do?

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

September 2nd, 2016 22:00

Hi Asheni,

The Realtek PCIe FE Controller is referring to an Ethernet Driver. I would recommend installing the chipset driver first located here (maybe even reinstalling, just to try): http://del.ly/6597B4hul (under chipset and then Intel Chipset Driver) and then you should have one of the wireless cards listed under the same link under network (you will also see the Realtek driver there as well). If for some reason the wireless card does not show up you could also try installing the Realtek driver and then use an ethernet cable to update the drivers on the system over the internet through updates. 

Now if for some reason this doesn't work.. another option is to input your Service Tag at this link and it will tell you exactly what wireless card/config you have in the system.

If none of these solutions work, please let me know. Please note I will not be back in the office until Tuesday.  

Best regards,

Brad

3 Posts

September 3rd, 2016 11:00

Hi Brad, thanks for replying.

I tried everything you said but nothing worked, but I did find a solution: I updated the system to windows 10 and it fixed whatever was it that was wrong, now the wireless is working again. Maybe there was something that wasn't compatible to windows 8.1 64 bits?

Anyway, thanks! :)

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

September 8th, 2016 13:00

That's interesting on the fix. Thanks for the heads up and glad to hear it is working!

Take care,

Brad

No Events found!