Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2013 19:00

Need Help ASAP - Dell wont connect to Verizon Iphone Hotspot

I cannot get my Dell Laptop Inspirion N7110 to connect to Iphone Hotspot. Is there s setting I need to change? My spouse's Dell laptop connects to Iphone hotspot without any trouble. I've restarted several time, it shows that it's connected, google will come up for a minute and then nothing. Please help asap, we are traveling and I have an important business deliverable, that's got to be done. Thank You!

943 Posts

March 12th, 2013 08:00

Hi AngiMc,

Welcome to the Community.

Please check with your carrier if you have opted for the Personal Hotspot ugrade plan because the regular Hotspot feature is available for sharing data connection with a single computer only (i.e., in a one-to-one connection) using a USB cable or Bluetooth.

Personal Hotspot still includes the USB and Bluetooth options but adds the Wi-Fi with multi-device sharing too. 

Turn on the Personal Hotspot Option in the iPhone

1. Go to the Settings screen on the iPhone.
  2. At the Settings screen, tap the "General" then "Network".
  3. Tap the "Personal Hotspot" option then "Wi-Fi Password".
  4. Enter in a password. This makes sure other (unauthorized) devices can't connect to your network. The password has to be at least eight characters long (a mix of letters, numbers, and punctuation).
  5. Slide the Personal Hotspot switch to on to make your iPhone now discoverable. Your phone will start acting like a wireless access point with the network name as your iPhone's device name.

Find and Connect to the New Wi-Fi Hotspot Created

1. Find the Wi-Fi hotspot from the device you want to share Internet access with; this will probably be done automatically for you. (Your computer will notify you that there are new wireless networks to connect to.)  If not, you can go to the wireless network settings on your computer  to see a list of networks to connect to and find the iPhone.
    2. Finally, establish the connection by entering in the password you noted above.

I hope this resolves the issue for you.

Please feel free to revert in case of any further queries.

Thanks and regards,
 Prateek K
 #iworkfordell

1 Message

August 25th, 2013 15:00

I had to call Motorola and they were able to help me in a matter of minutes.

December 2nd, 2013 11:00

I should have written "...work with my hotspot." Clearly, it is recognized.

December 2nd, 2013 11:00

I have the same problem with a Dell Venue 7. It recognizes my hotspot, saves the password, has excellent signal strength; pressing "connect" has no effect. This personal hotspot works well with my Dell Inspiron laptop, I have the exact same issue with my iPad's personal hotspot. I am running the latest version of iOS 7 on each Apple device.

Please advise how to get the Venue 7 to recognize the hotspot.

August 29th, 2016 19:00

I cannot get my latitude E5450 dell computer to connect with my new IPhone 5s.

it worked from when a got the computer in March till 2 weeks ago when I switched phones.  the dell has saved my old hotspot #  I need to delete that #  and type in my new iPhone hot spot number.  HOW do I do that?

When I go to the wireless bottom right.  I phone comes up tries to connectsays no connection BUT  that rectangle doesn't come up to type in new pass code.  WHY?

1 Message

October 26th, 2016 14:00

Just went through this with a customer today.  His problem...may be related to yours...is that he was using an apostrophe in his SSID.  It came back on his Dell laptop as several odd  characters when viewing the SSID broadcast.  apostrophes are not aloud, per the wi-fi spec.  Sure enough, after removing it...everything worked.  It was odd, though, that other devices worked fine before.  I guess it just shows you that some devices are more strict to the spec than others!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 21st, 2023 03:00

I thought to share what fixed my issue . I eventually got rid of the issue by forgetting the Wi-Fi network and join it again.

No Events found!