Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

9 Posts

December 7th, 2019 10:00

KM717 bluetooth keyboard won't go into pairing mode

This is already my second time getting this keyboard since I sent the first one back thinking it was defective.

The keyboard and mouse work find using the dell universal receiver. The mouse also pairs and unpairs fine with Bluetooth. The keyboard however, will pair the first time with Bluetooth, and then when I turn off the keyboard and turn it back on, it will never reconnect with Bluetooth. I then tried holding the Bluetooth pairing button, but for that Bluetooth setting it will no longer go into pairing mode. Same applies for the other  Bluetooth memory mode. Will only pair once and then get bricked.

Is there any way I can factory reset this keyboard?

1 Message

February 23rd, 2020 10:00

I have the same problem with a few more details.

I recently changed my bluetooth USB receiver to a Logilink BT0015 Bluetooth 4.0 Class 1 device.

After Pairing my WK717 it worked until I rebooted my PC.

I noticed, that the Pairing LED lights up when you move the connection switch between "1D"-"2B"-"3B" Positions.

After I rebooted, when moving the connection switch to the newly paired "2B" Position, the LED was dead.

It lit up for a fraction of a second and goes off immediately.

I then paired the position "3B" to my cellphone.

It worked, even after switching and reboots.

Then I paired the "3B" position to my PC and it worked once, just like position "2B".

Now the whole Bluetooth stuff on the keyboard refuses to work while the Dell Dongle still works fine.

Is there a way to delete Bluetooth pairing information from the Keyboard?

2 Posts

March 18th, 2020 12:00

Me too

April 3rd, 2020 07:00

Any fix from Dell for this one?

Just received the combo today and worked fine for 6 hours being paired with bluetooth-2 and usb-1.

Switching between both every 10-15 minutes.

Shutting down laptop with USB-1, no reaction anymore for the keyboard @ BT-2.

Was still showing up as connected in settings. Disconnected it, and couldn't find it in the list. 

BT-3 did work, but switching the slider from 3 to 1 and back. Same problem (however with 2% less battery)

USB-1 and mouse in all settings work fine. 

Manufacturing date Jan/2020

2 Posts

April 13th, 2020 14:00

I am in the same situation as these very few who already reported it (and many more others).

The remove-keyboard-from-dell-universal-receiver-and-readd-the-keyboard tick did not fix the slot #2...

Slot #1 obviously works with the dell universal receiver, slot #3 works as well (paired to my Android phone) but slot #2 worked for very little time.

I paired it initially with the laptop, tested that it does work, until I switched to slot #3 and paired it to my phone.

It was paired to my Lenovo Z50-70 with an Intel AC3160 WiFi/Bluetooth adapter.

Trying to have the keyboard enter the pairing mode for slot #2 is impossible. Everything else works flawlessly paired to my laptop bluetooth (earphones, phone, dell wm527 from the km717 set).

This support request is already for more than 4 months on your website!

At least prepare some official announcement... That`s what permium premium-equipment manufacturers do!

• 

25.4K Posts

April 13th, 2020 15:00

Hi Ro0ter,

we're sorry you're going through these hardships. We'll be more than happy to help you out with that keyboard. Please send us a private message to @DELL-Cares for additional assistance.  

2 Posts

April 13th, 2020 15:00

now, I downloaded the dell universal receiver control panel... yet, should I need downloading the documentation, I can`t...

Namely, I`m asked for the service tag of my keyboard... I didn`t even know what to sent the support people so that they allow me to return this keyboard... okay, I`ll go with you, I`ll download some support asistant assistant launcher tool, yet IT REFUSSES REFUSES TO INSTALL ON MY MACHINE SINCE IT`S NOT A DELL OR AN ALIENWARE MACHINE.

1 Message

April 14th, 2020 19:00

Hi,

I've got exactly the same issue. The #3 Bluetooth slot will not go into pairing mode.

Moving the selector slider across to the number 3 causes the white light to flash very briefly. No response after pressing the pairing button. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards, 

Tim. 

9 Posts

April 14th, 2020 20:00

Is there a fix for this issue yet? I am assuming its a firmware problem and can be updated from the dell universal receiver control panel, but I don't see any updates. It's been months and I cant even use the second Bluetooth setting since its "bricked". I am surprised at how expensive this keyboard was and how very little support it is getting from your company.

1 Message

April 30th, 2020 19:00

Having the same issue with one of our units here.

when used with the USB Receiver the unit works as expected. However, when switching to BT 2 or 3 it doesn't work and it also will not let us going into pairing mode to reset.

Has anyone found a fix or are we still waiting for Dell to release a firmware that will fix this.

May 1st, 2020 01:00

Hi everyone,

So I contacted Dell via Facebook and told them the issue. After a few tries updating firmware and stuff, they agreed to sent the replacement. However they one had the same issues, also from the same batch (Jan/2020). They replaced it again yesterday with a keyboard from the batch of Jan/2019 an this one is working fine till now. 

Fingers crossed.

By the way, Dell support was very friendly on this matter. Thanks guys!

8 Posts

May 2nd, 2020 05:00

I have a similar problem with my WK717 (the keyboard part of the KM717 combo - I don't use the mouse).

Paired fine with universal receiver; pairs fine on Bluetooth on channel 2; Bluetooth channel 3 it won't go into pairing.

Pressing or holding the pairing button with 3 selected gives no light response.

Powering on in channel 1/2, the light by the power switch comes on for around 10s; power on in channel 3, the light blips on for a fraction of a second.

I've had this keyboard about 18 months Should I bin it off as a lesson learned?

Can't find anything to try to factory reset it & see how it goes... any ideas?

8 Posts

May 6th, 2020 03:00

I have had quite a lot of to/fro in private messaging with Dell's community support about my KM/WK717 problem, but unfortunately it has been focused on the device I am trying to connect, rather than the keyboard itself. My latest message to Dell:

Hi

Many thanks for your attention to my problem with my KM/WK717 keyboard.

However I feel you are missing the core of the problem.

These things are not a problem:

• Channel 1 (USB receiver channel) works without issue.
  • Channel 2 (Bluetooth) works without issue.

This thing is a problem:

• Channel 3 (Bluetooth) will not go into pairing mode on the KEYBOARD; this is not a problem with the Bluetooth configuration on any of my 3 computers & 2 Android devices I have at my disposal; it is the keyboard itself that will not go into pairing mode on channel 3.

Can you explain why changes to my device Bluetooth configurations will cause the keyboard channel 3 to start working properly?

I am expecting solutions based around the keyboard's channel 3, not my devices that connect fine to channel 1 & channel 2. Without the keyboard channel 3 entering pairing mode, there is nothing for any of my devices to pair with on that channel.

Maybe a way to factory reset the keyboard, or a firmware upgrade for the keyboard that may fix or reset channel 3?

Many thanks for your attention to this.

8 Posts

May 6th, 2020 04:00

Ok so Dell are convinced it is the fault of my 3 computers & their Bluetooth config/versions. Somehow this is preventing the keyboard channel 3 from entering Bluetooth pairing mode, is the implication.

They have asked me to check the Bluetooth versions on my computers, even though all 3 will BT pair with channel 2, but not channel 3.

My reply:

Hi & thanks again for your attention to my problem.

• The 3 computers I have are all Windows 10, Bluetooth 4.0 or above.
  • ALL 3 computers will USB receiver pair using channel 1 of the keyboard.
  • ALL 3 computers will Bluetooth pair using channel 2 of the keyboard.
  • NONE of the 3 computers will Bluetooth pair using channel 3 of the keyboard - this is because the KEYBOARD CHANNEL 3 does not go into pairing mode.

I have just tried the Dell Mouse WM527 that came with the WK717 keyboard in the KM717 combo package... this pairs flawlessly over Bluetooth to all 3 of my computers using channels 2 & 3 Bluetooth, so does that confirm to us that the keyboard pairing issue on channel 3 is NOT the problem of my computers, but of the keyboard's channel 3 itself?

8 Posts

May 11th, 2020 03:00

Dell Support don't seem to be getting it. Now being asked to install a Universal Receiver firmware update that we tried 5 days ago; still no acknowledgement that it is not my devices where the problem is. My latest response to them, after multiple messages to & fro including me making a video for them showing the problem is with the keyboard, not with other devices:

WHY are we still focused on Windows Bluetooth versions? What bearing does that have on the keyboard, in isolation, failing to go into pairing mode on channel 3? What bearing does Windows Bluetooth version have on my Galaxy Tab S4 or Galaxy S20 Plus? The device does not matter.

THE KEYBOARD IS WHERE THE PROBLEM IS; so it's hardware, or firmware on THE KEYBOARD.

AND it's a problem on one of the two Bluetooth settings (channel 3, not channel 2; definitely nothing to do with channel 1 (USB receiver))... so unless you asking me to do the firmware upgrade AGAIN is going to result in new firmware being pushed onto the keyboard, new dongle firmware is not going to help if the USB dongle is not in the connection equation; the USB dongle is NOT a part of the Bluetooth connectivity.

THE LINK YOU PROVIDED FOR THE USB FIRMWARE UPDATER IS THE SAME UPDATE THAT WE TRIED ON 6 MAY!

I REINSTALLED WINDOWS 10 YESTERDAY on my laptop; other issues, unrelated, & certainly nothing to do with my other 2 Windows 10 devices & 2 Android devices; not just an OS led recovery either; a full delete all partitions & start again from bare metal... guess what...? My keyboard, channel 3, still won't go into pairing mode. Why not? Because there is a problem with the KEYBOARD & the Windows 10 re-installation has NOTHING to do with the keyboard failing to go into Bluetooth pairing mode on channel 3.

I don't know how it can be any more clear... the KEYBOARD needs to be:

1. Factory reset; or
  2. New firmware specific to the keyboard
  3. Replaced with either:
    • another WK717
    • a keyboard from somewhere else

Much as I love the WK717, I am not going to pay for another one given my current experience of effectively leasing it for less than 18 months before it becomes useless.

8 Posts

May 11th, 2020 07:00

So in closing, I am told there is no way to reset the WK717/KM717, & there is no firmware update that will update the keyboard firmware rather than just the universal receiver.

No firmware that could be reapplied? No factory reset? What a load of rubbish, of course there is firmware (why would they show a firmware version for the keyboard if it wasn't a thing?).

No key combo for resetting? You have plenty of keys to choose from... still no reply as to what ESC+F1 does... it isn't a reset but it's a something.

Dell Support has led me round & round in circles failing to answer anything to get me anywhere.

... & I will not be leasing buying another Dell product for 18 months use; your laptops  too - could never get a Dell laptop to be stable straight out of the box; or with considerable work I could by installing Windows directly & avoiding applying any of your downloadable driver packs... 

No Events found!