Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

November 16th, 2004 19:00

Inspiron 600m and SMC 7004AWBR wireless router problem

I am unable to maintain an internet connection with the wireless internet card in my Inspiron notebook.  I do not have this problem using the internal Ethernet card.

I have a home network consisting of a Cable Modem and  SMC 7004AWBR wireless router.  I have another laptop which uses a SMC PCMCIA wireless card and a desktop computer which uses a SMC USB wireless adapter.  Both of these computers work fine with my network.

When I turn the Inspiron on I am briefly able to connect to the Internet, then lose my connection.  The notebook appears to remain connected to my wireless network, however.
On the SMC router I am not using encryption, but am using MAC Address control.

Are there any known issues with this notebook and SMC wireless routers?

Thanks

7.3K Posts

November 17th, 2004 00:00

Make sure you have the latest driver for your 600m wireless card and also the latest SMC firmware for the router.  I also have this router and love its print server.  When you go for the firmware to the SMC site you will need the model number off the sticker on the router as there were two versions.

14 Posts

November 17th, 2004 07:00

Thanks.  I just recevied the 600m so it probably has the latest drivers, but I have not upgraded the SMC firmware in a while so that sounds like a god idea.  Do you use MAC address control on your router?  I have gotten better results disabling that, but I don't like to.

Thanks,

Robert

7.3K Posts

November 18th, 2004 01:00

Since I couldn't get the SMC2632W driver/utility to remember the WEP key I moved to a D-Link 22mb router and removed the wireless card from the 7004 but kept it as my firewall/router/printserver.  On the D-Link I use WEP, MAC filtering, no SSID broadcast, IP address limiting.
No Events found!