Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

March 1st, 2007 19:00

Computer dummy with a question

I have a Dell Deminison 8200 I bought in 2003.

I want to be able to run my computer via a wireless connection.

What do I need and what do I need to know to be able to do this?

Thanks for any help

Alan1350
========

28K Posts

March 1st, 2007 20:00

I assume that what you mean when you say you want to "run my computer via a wireless connection", you mean that you want to connect the computer to the internet or other computers in your house by wirless.   For this you will need a broadband internet connection (cable or dsl) with a cable or dsl modem that has the ability to connect by ethernet (a USB only modem will not work).  You will then need a wireless router that will connect to the broadband modem.  In addition you will need either a PCI wireless network adapter that would install in a free PCI slot inside your computer or a USB wireless network adapter that would plug into one of the USB ports on your computer.

Steve 

A wireless adapter and a wireless router.

Either a USB wireless adapter or a PCI wireless adapter. PCI wireless adapters usually get better range and speed rather than USB adapters. Make sure your Dimension has an open PCI slot.

And as for a router, get a wireless-G router.

I recommend getting a Linksys wireless-G router and a Linksys wireless-G PCI adapter/USB adapter. Linksys is a very good brand.

Any other questions, or if I didn't answer your question. Post back.

-Tony

4 Posts

I probablly need to give more info:
I have a Desktop with cable/wireless router already in another room in the house.  Instead of running an ethernet cable to me laptop I want to be able to connect to internet without a ethernet cable.

What I need to find out is what I need for my Deminison 8200 laptop so it can connect to the internet via a wireless connection.

I know I need a wireless card but do I need anything that nneds to be installed into my laptop?

Someone mention something about a USB Antenna?

Thanks for your help

Alan

28K Posts

A Dimension 8200 is not a laptop.  It is a desktop computer.  Please clarify.

Steve

4 Posts

March 1st, 2007 22:00

Steve...

Thanks for the info.  I guess the only thing I got right was that I am a dummy.
I was trying find out this info for another person and they told me they had a laptop.

Now I guess my question is:
If I have a Desktop with cable and wireless modem how can I set up another desktop computer in another room without running an ethernet cable to it?

Thanks

Alan
=======

28K Posts

March 1st, 2007 23:00

First, you should be aware that all wireless routers have 4 ethernet ports, so any computer that does not move around and is located in the same room as the router and modem should connect by a wired ethernet connection to the router.  For a desktop computer located in area where it is inconvenient to run ethernet cables, there are 2 options.  (1) if the computer has an empty PCI slot, you can purchase and install a PCI wireless network adapter in a PCI slot.  (2) If the computer has USB ports, you can purchase a USB wireless network adapter which will plug into one of the USB ports.

Steve
No Events found!