Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2009 15:00

Monitor warranty - third-party vendor now out of business - what do I do?

Hello

I'm having tremendous frustrations trying to speak with Dell about a monitor warranty replacement.

I have a Dell monitor - just a monitor, nothing else - which I purchased from a (reputable) online retailer about 2 and a half years ago. The monitor is a 2407WFP model and came with a 3 year warranty. The vendor was called Eagle Computer (saveateagle.com) and is now out of business, so I have no way of contacting them.

I have called Dell customer service three times, on each occasion spoken to at least three people, and each and every person has begun by asking for a Dell Service Tag or Express Code (neither of which my monitor, or, I believe, ANY standalone Dell monitor has). They all seem very confused that I don't have this information, as though they have no idea that Dell sells monitors by themselves. They then ask me for a Dell account number or order number, neither of which apply to me. 

I have tried to get them to go through the Shelf Stock warranty process as described in the FAQ above, but they refuse to do this.

I'd be very grateful if a Dell rep could let me know the best way to proceed.

Many thanks

Matt Clifton

6 Posts

October 24th, 2009 14:00

HI Matt Your Not Alone on having trouble transfering warranty to a Dell Monitor.

I'm in the same boat as you I think DELL needs to correct their Warranty Form and update their Customer service . I just bought a New in the Box SX2210 Monitor on eBay . I try to transfer the warranty over to myself & the stupid form keeps asking for a SERVICE TAG or EXPRESS Service Code number. It seems the monitor only has a BAR CODE tag with a 20 dig. & Alpha. list.NO Service Tag because its not a computer No matter how I try to enter these numbers & letters into the form all I get is "INVALID Service Tag". Even if you email or call Dell the first thing they want is your Service Tag number which if I had one I wouldn't need their help. I've always purchased Dells but this time I wish I bought another brand.  I will keep trying to transfer warranty, if not if it breaks I'll throw it away and never buy a Dell product again. Good Luck. If you get anywhere with the transfer post a reply here. R.A.T.

1 Message

October 24th, 2009 15:00

This EXACT scenario is happening to me right now.. Diff 3rd party vendor.. It would be nice to have a resolution before the 3 year warrenty expires.. I have no real expectation of a resolution based on my recent dealings with dell though.. Sad to say but true..

If there are any Dell people that can actually make a decision or even a difference, please post here as well..

Good Luck to anyone having this problem as well..

I will post any information I have if there is progress in my neck of the woods..

October 24th, 2009 16:00

Hi RAT340

I believe in your instance you would need to contact the eBay seller and get the ORIGINAL Dell order number (presuming that they purchased it from Dell). You'd then call their support line, wait until they've asked you for the Express Code or Service Tag five times, and then they'll give up and ask you for the order number. 

Matt

401 Posts

October 24th, 2009 16:00

to get a monitor replaced without a dell system is nearly impossible.  

easiest way is to have an order number or service tag.  without those it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack to get a tech that knows how to replace a monitor.  I got lucky a while back and a tech told me to ask them to use the dummy tag, whatever that is.  and it works!  you might get transfered a few more times till you find someone that knows what that is though.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 24th, 2009 17:00

Reseller Monitor Warranty policy (Ebay)
Contact the reseller and get his Dell order number for the monitor. That order number will tell us the start and end date of the warranty. If he paid for the warranty, we can transfer the monitor warranty into your name. If he cannot provide a Dell order number, he most likely did not buy the warranty coverage and bought them from us in as is condition.

Shelf-Stock Retailer Monitor Warranty policy (Amazon, Best Buy, Nex, aafes, CostCo, Sams, Staples, Walmart)
* Contact Dell Technical Support (800-624-9896). Have them open up DSN and search for 159380
Click the Articles tab
Click Products Sold Through Retailer (Co 09) Policy and Procedure - CTS/DOC
Click Monitor Replacement for Shelf-Stock Purchases
* Provide the following information to the technician
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number found on the back on a label or on the slider card on the left:
Reason: List specific failure

* If you bought both a monitor and a computer from a Shelf-Stock Retailer, the monitor carries the computer warranty. You would go here 

and register the monitor/PC in your name.

October 26th, 2009 08:00

Chris - 

That's the exact process I have repeatedly asked the phone support agents to follow. They either don't know what I'm talking about, or still come up with a blank after entering my PPID. I"m going to PM you, if you don't mind, with my info, in the slim hope that you can pass on my information to the right people!

thanks

Matt

No Events found!