Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2021 17:00

Lenovo Laptop USB-C to DisplayPort Cable to U2412M not working

I have Dell U2412M monitor with DP. Want to connect to new Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ITL05 82FG00EQUS USB-C port. Mouse pointer keeps jumping around on laptop screen and monitor does not display even if I select DisplayPort before connecting cable. Lenovo support suggested I check with Dell monitor support.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 15th, 2021 20:00

@kjjsky  Lenovo’s specs indicate that the USB-C port on that system does support video output, which is an optional feature. Normally in that case a USB-C to DP cable is a completely straightforward setup. But since it’s not, have you tried using that cable and display with another system, or that cable and system with another display? Or that system and display with another USB-C to DP cable? When a setup that should work doesn’t actually work, the first step is always to try to isolate variables to identify known good components and narrow down the list of culprits. If you don’t have any other system, cable, or display to test with, then the easiest of the three components to try returning/swapping out would be the cable. You may have gotten a defective unit or something.

4 Posts

August 16th, 2021 14:00

I decided I needed a docking station for my Lenovo laptop so I am hoping the docking station will provide an adequate solution.

1 Message

August 16th, 2021 21:00

My wife has a Lenovo ThinkPad for work and uses two U2412M monitors - one connected by a VGA cable, the other by a DisplayPort-USBc. The monitor connected to the VGA works/displays properly. The monitor with the DisplayPort does not. It shows it's connected to power, but does not recognize it's plugged into the computer. I've used this monitor with the same cable on my MacBook Air and it works just fine. Any ideas for technologically dumb people?

4 Posts

August 17th, 2021 06:00

@rpoll100 

I found there may be a problem with the cable I used to connect my Lenovo Ideapad to the monitor. The USB-C port  on my laptop is powered and if pin 20 on the DP cable is live, I think the power causes problems for the DP on the monitor. I checked and there is a website with Certified DP cables and sure enough my cable was not certified. You may want to check out the website https://www.displayport.org/product-category/cables-adaptors/  to see what cables are certified for DP. My Insignia USB-C to DP cable was not listed. I purchased an Insignia DP to DP cable and it is certified. When I get my docking station I am hoping the DP will work on the monitor.

4 Posts

August 22nd, 2021 15:00

Insignia DP to DP cable connected to my laptop docking station worked.

No Events found!