Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

C

1 Message

June 19th, 2022 00:00

SafeShutter not working correctly

Is there a way to reset the SafeShutter on a Latitude 9520?

The laptop will detect that that the camera is to be used (light on, flicker sound) however the SafeShutter does not disappear and there is no physical slider to move it out of the way. On occasion, the shutter will not move when the camera is in use, sometimes it will work as intended (flick on and off) and others it will work but then forget to close the shutter. 

• 

25.5K Posts

June 19th, 2022 18:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

1 Message

August 15th, 2022 13:00

I am having the same problem. Apps that use the camera seem to detect a camera is there but the shutter will not open. I have 2 9520 computers doing the same thing. Any help would be appreciated. 

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

August 16th, 2022 10:00

I have not seen a laptop with that feature, so I don't know how it works. I would suspect that the shutter hardware may require a driver to function. Perhaps that driver needs to be updated. 

December 1st, 2022 03:00

We've had similar issues with these laptops that have the camera shutter setup as automatic where it will not open the camera when someone wants to use the camera via Skype, Teams etc. One thing one of my collogues tried is setting the camera shutter from manual to dynamic in the BIOS but it hasn't really worked and not even the dell engineers know why it happens either. Only way I know of to fix this type of problem unless there is a BIOS update to fix this is to either get the screen or camera replaced. 

December 2nd, 2022 08:00

For some reason it won't let me edit my last one so having to reply to it. One possibility I think could be the cause may be the cable between the camera and the motherboard or screen. The reason I say this is because the issue seems to be intermittent and could be somehow working its way loose from its connector or could be packed too tight in the screen housing.

December 5th, 2022 02:00

Just had an engineer in to fix the camera issue. Unfortunately, the only way to repair this problem is to replace the entire screen as its integrated into the screen housing behind the glass panel. No way to get to it without heating the adhesive to get the panel off which would be a real headache to do

1 Message

January 1st, 2023 11:00

Hello, I just purchased Dell Latitude 9520 and I am unable to set up Windows Hello.  Every time I try to set up Windows Hello Facial Recognition feature, I hear the audible shutter click open and closed and then after a few moments I get an error message saying it cannot be set up and to try setup again.

I talked with Dell support and Windows support and neither has been able to resolve this issue.  Between the two sides of tech support, I have reinstalled Windows a couple times, they've updated drivers and absolutely nothing has worked.  The shutter itself works fine because I can use the Camera app and it opens as intended.

Now, I'm just frustrated.  Can anyone confirm that Windows Hello works on a Latitude 9520?  Has anyone else experienced this issue?  Were you able to get the issued resolved?   Please let me know if there are any suggestions.

Thanks!

January 23rd, 2024 15:44

Just got this email from Dell.  

Customer Advisory Regarding Latitude 9440 - camera shutter fails to open.

(Dell Technologies Internal Reference ID Dell Technologies ET005033)

Implementation Procedure

One or more of your Dell Technologies System(s) may be affected by this issue.

Please locate the latest Driver using the recommended method below:

• Browse to the Dell Drivers & Downloads Page (www.dell.com/support)
  • Enter Service Tag
  • Click on Drivers & Downloads Tab
  • Under Category, Select Camera
  • Locate the Intel 2D Imaging/MCU/Visual Sensing Controller Driver for Camera
    • Special note: If you are not able to locate this firmware update under the service tag, try toggling to the button next to the service tag identifying the system type.

(edited)

No Events found!