Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

1 Message

June 6th, 2019 13:00

Fn+NumPad0 puts my Laptop to sleep. How can I disable this?

When I press the function key (Fn) and the 0 on the number pad (NumPad0), my laptop goes to sleep. Someone at Del thought this was a good idea, and I've no idea why. There is nothing on the NumPad0 to indicate that it's a function key. And toggling the function key lock doesnt affect it. I also have a sleep function key, Fn+Insert, which does the exact same thing, and has a picture on it to show that's what it does. Is there anyway I can prevent this key combination, Fn+NumPad0, from putting my laptop to sleep? The problem is that the NumPad0 key is very close to the RightArrow key. I often need to move to the end the line my cursor is on, or the end of the page, and the End key is a function key, Fn+RightArrow. This often results in an acidental mistype of Fn+NumPad0, and my laptop goes to sleep. Any help appreciated!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 6th, 2019 13:00

I don't think you'll be able to disable this.  Function commands like that are processed by the system firmware before they're even sent to the OS, so unless you find a BIOS option that allows you to customize this (I doubt you will), I don't think there's anything you can do.  It's very strange that this occurs despite the fact that it's not labeled AND there's already another key that IS labeled for that function, though.  Sorry!

1 Message

August 30th, 2023 13:29

Check this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/oph323/disable_fn_0_key_on_my_dell_laptop/

As it says there, the solution is to "disable the sleep button in power settings and set the sleep button to do nothing".

Problem solved.

No Events found!