Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

5 Posts

January 19th, 2020 19:00

Discharge battery while AC is connected

In the "Dell Command | Power Manager" (or the BIOS for that matter), I can choose between different charging modes for my battery, i.e., Standard, Express, Primary AC Use, Adaptive and Custom.

However, the Power Manager utility (or BIOS), does not have an option to fully discharge the battery while the AC adaptor is plugged in, or to inhibit charging the battery. Both of these options are important with respect to the battery health (i.e. lifespan), and further to recalibrate the battery.

These options (i.e. fully discharge while on AC and inhibit charging) are available for Lenovo ThinkPads (see e.g. here and there is also excellent Linux support for these features) which allows for a much better control of battery runtime and battery lifetime (health).

I checked the token list of the SMBIOS available in the Dell libsmbios library and it appears that the BIOS in Dell laptops currently does not expose this kind of functionality (see also the discussion here for more details).

Thus my question: Does Dell plan to provide these features?

Last, my current system is a Dell Latitude 7480, but I believe this applies to many other Dell laptops (especially of the high-end series).

No Responses!
No Events found!