Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 20th, 2012 02:00

usb 3.0 ports not working on Inspiron N7110

Hi,

I've bought 2 Inspiron N7110 laptops. Both have win7 64bit OS, and 2 usb ports (3.0 ports) are not working. I have all the latest drivers form dell's web page, but I can't get them to work. Is this a driver issue or this laptop series is affected by Chipset circuit design issue? Should I return them, or there is something wrong with drivers, and it can be fixed?

Please help!!

1 Message

February 26th, 2012 04:00

I have the same laptop and the same problem with USB 3.0 ports, The solution is here:

THERE IS NO RENESAS ELECTRONICS CHIP INSIDE, BUT FRESCO LOGIC FL1009.

There is a driver:

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/fresco_logic.htm

Good luck

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 21st, 2012 00:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community.

Have you tried updating the BIOS? The latest release was Feb 14, 2012. Check this link out ;

http://dell.to/yTF8YB

(Download File then Run it, make sure ac adapter and battery is connected)

Feel free to reply back and let me know of the results,

7 Posts

February 21st, 2012 02:00

OK. When I bought my Inspiron they had DOS OS on them. Then I installed Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OS (legit).I followed instructions on this page: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=DSN_362048&isLegacy=true

All the drivers are installed from this page: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

The problem is that Renesas-Driver is not actually installled. It tried to remove Universal Serial Bus Controller from Device manager and after restart Windows is searching for drivers but says: No drivers found.

Maybe this is a hardware issue?? I saw on forums that there is a problem with USB 3.0 ports on several laptops.

I’m interested is there a compatibility issue with this laptop series and win7?? I couldn't find it on Internet. It seamed OK.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 21st, 2012 04:00

Hi,

Is the problem happening to both computers? What do you mean by renesas driver not actually installed?

7 Posts

February 21st, 2012 04:00

Yes problem is on both laptops. After win7 installation all necessary driver were installed, including renesas driver and  there was no error during installation, but USB 3.0 ports are dead, nothing  happens.

when I go to programs - Renesans Electronics - USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver - USB 3.0 Host Controller Utility I get message: USB 3.0 Host Controller not found. (although I've installed it, and there was no error during installation).

When I install drivers  manually I don't get error during installation, but devices are not recognized. When I  remove  Universal Serial Bus Controller from Device manager, windows  can not find drivers automatically: It says: no drivers found.

I don't know. Should I maybe reinstall Win7??

Did you already had problems with this laptops, or am I doing something wrong during my installation??

2 Posts

February 21st, 2012 06:00

I too am having a problem after upgrading to Windows 7 Professional, also a legit upgrade.

I have tried all drivers available from Dell, as well as Renesans drivers from IBM's website none of which are working.  I contacted Dell as the laptop is in warranty but was advised that since I upgraded to Windows 7 Professional the software warranty is voided.....  Which is absurd, that's a whole other story....

Anyways, I know the ports were working before upgrading to Windows 7 Professional which is really odd.  Both the OS that came pre-installed and the upgrade are x64, meaning the driver should work the same regardless.  

I'm at my wits end, especially seeing as I do have a USB 3.0 external and would love to utilize the ports!   Any suggestions would be great.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 21st, 2012 21:00

Hi zloncaric, you can try reinstalling windows 7 again, also you might need to check BIOS/System Setup and go under advanced tab. Try reconfiguring the USB features. If still no luck possible Hardware replacement.

Regards,

1 Message

February 27th, 2012 19:00

Thank you MAJKOM. I have the same laptop. Upgraded from Win 7 Home Premium to Win7 Ultimate then noticed my usb controller had no driver. Found it at your link. Just ran setup and I'm all set.

7 Posts

February 28th, 2012 02:00

Thank you very much!! Works like a charm…..

1 Message

January 20th, 2013 00:00

Hello i have bit same problem,after re-installation of win 7 when i plug my wd hdd 500gb after 10 minutes it stops working.Before re-installation of win 7 i used the same laptop with same win without any problem. And the other problem is that I'm not in the country that i bought the laptop dell inspiron n7110. Could you help me please ?

3 Posts

September 2nd, 2013 20:00

I have found a fix. It is NOT a driver issue. I reflowed the NEC usb 3.0 controller chip. It fixes the issues of it disappearing or not being there at all  and The issue that keeps the machine restarting after shutdown. :)

1 Message

February 23rd, 2014 11:00

I have the same laptop and the same problem with USB 3.0 ports, The solution is here:

THERE IS NO RENESAS ELECTRONICS CHIP INSIDE, BUT FRESCO LOGIC FL1009.

There is a driver:

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/fresco_logic.htm

Good luck

It should be true. But my win7 x64 has problem with instalation. It says. Win can`t continue with instalation because there is some problem.

Any suggestion

1 Message

June 25th, 2014 15:00

I'm having the same issue.  I have updated the Bios and replaced all the current drivers from the Dell site. I tried loading the FRESCO LOGIC FL1009 drivers but it said I did not have that device.  Both my USB 3 ports are dead.  Is there any other options or driver I can use?

Thanks

Charlie

1 Message

July 3rd, 2014 09:00

This issue is ongoing and in my case the usb 3.0 never worked to begin with.  It is a shame that Dell is ignoring this issue and is not working to resolve our complaints.

I recently had to do a rebuild due to a failed hard drive (very painful) and the recovery disks of course were corrupted as well.  Overall, very poor service.

I consult to IT and Tech. it is issues such as this that stop me from recommending their products any more.

This should be a simple fix?  Why no one from Dell will care is beyond me.

Is anyone from Dell reading these?  Are you able to help?

Thanks

1 Message

November 19th, 2014 12:00

I have been experiencing the same issue.

This is going on and off. Sometimes the 3.0 USB ports work and all of a sudden they stop.

Any recommendation? 

Thanks.

No Events found!