Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

August 29th, 2006 14:00

"Wobbly" screen...

I know taht the obvious thing to do here is just call Dell and ask them about this, but I thought I'd bounce it off some of you guys+gals first...

My Inspiron 630m is about 3-4 months old. In the last few weeks the joint where the screen hinges has developed some free play. It was intially a nice snug fit that kept tension throughout it's range of motion. Now it has free play to wiggle back and forth. It seems to be getting a ever so slightly worse, but I can't really be too sure about that. I can see the joint "moving" about 1/8-1/4" or so.

Is this normal wear and tear or should I be getting this repaired before before it gets much worse? I read another thread on here about someone's screen that wouldn't stay up at all; I want to avoid that if I can....

Thanks!

565 Posts

August 29th, 2006 15:00

First I would suggest taking the LCD off and tightening the screws for the hinges. This probably won't fix the problem however.

DELL hinges are known for they're cheapness and bad manufacturing.

So, if you feel confident enough go tighten those screws, but it will most likely not fix the issue. If under warrenty which I'm assuming it is, call Dell and get some new hinges but be aware that they will most likely deteriorate in the same fasion.

4 Posts

August 29th, 2006 16:00

Cool, thanks for the quick reply...

Any chance you feel lke telling me how to go about tightening those screws? I'm good with tools and have fixed some electronics before, so I'm not scared (as long it won't void my warranty...)but I've never even looked inside Lappy'.....

565 Posts

August 29th, 2006 16:00

Nope, it wont void the warranty.

The first step is to take off the plastic piece that has the power button and speaker controls on it, sits right in front of the display.

You can do this by using a flat head screw driver and popping the right side of it up, you should see a small "slot" for the lack of a better word.

Once you pop that up, you can continue to pop that piece off. It's going to pop off a bit hard but it shouldnt break, just dont bend it a whole lot.

Now when you pop this off you're going to want the LCD to be flat and level off the back of the laptop.

Now, when you pop that off you should see a couple screws that hold the hinge to the laptop, which are the screws i was talking about.

These might tighten it to the laptop a little better, but you're probably going to have to call Dell about replacement hinges.

And if you can get replacement hinges they will most likely still be garbage.

Bad manufacturing by Dell I'm afraid.

4 Posts

August 29th, 2006 18:00

Thanks, that's appreciated.

My volume buttons are along the front edge of my machine, but the power button and (caps,numlock,wi-fi) lights are along the edge of the monitor. I think I've got it figured out.........

565 Posts

August 29th, 2006 19:00

Yea, it varies, I was going based on my 600m.

:)
No Events found!