Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

January 2nd, 2009 09:00

"Base System Device"

Hi All,

Since the D830 is being phased out my company started purchasing the E6500. We went ahead and set one up, formatted it and loaded XP (exercising our downgrade rights!), but I found a device in hardware manager that I cannot find a driver for, nor can I figure out what it is.

It shows up under "Other Devices" simply as "Base System Device", of course with the yellow question mark and exclamation point, but of which are taunting me unmercifully.

Anyone have any idea what device this may be?  I already loaded the drivers for the "Credential Vault Broadcom USH CV /wo Fingerprint Scanner", "Integrated Webcam", "Ricoh PCMCIA Adapter", and the rest of the 'normal' devices (NIC, Wi-Fi, VGA, Audio, etc).  The only other one I question is the SmartCard reader, which is simply showing up as "USB Smart Card Reader"; could that be related? 

Thanks in advance!

16 Posts

January 8th, 2009 09:00

I figured it out - I needed the Ricoh driver under the Chipset section.

I was confused because I originally downloaded and installed the "ControlPoint Security Manager" driver, which included a driver for the Ricoh PCMCIA adapter, but not the controller for the SD/MMC reader.  :p

Whatever...SOLVED!  :)

2.9K Posts

January 2nd, 2009 10:00

Did you install all of the drivers & software in this order? As well, if you look at the information for the "Dell Utility - System Software" under the System Utilities section, it indicates specifically that this software be installed first (after installing the operating system).

16 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 11:00

I guess I didn't realize I had to install any of the drivers in a specific order, other than installing the Chipset first (as with any system, really).

Now what's the significance of the Dell Utility?  I've never even messed around with it before on my previous models (in an effort to keep the images as clean as possible by only installing the necessary drivers).  Does it have something to do with the utility partition?

2.9K Posts

January 2nd, 2009 12:00

I don't think it has anything to do with the utility partition. The details only indicate that this software adds "Microsoft hot fix: 959252".

1st attempt to post

2nd attempt to post

16 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 12:00

So aside from the aforementioned hotfix, any idea what the download contains?  I tried to install it (given, I already have the other drivers installed), but I didn't see that it added anything...  :-/

2.9K Posts

January 2nd, 2009 13:00

"any idea what the download contains?"

Nope!

1 Message

November 17th, 2009 06:00

Well then, we seem to have had the same problem. After installing an unsupported NEW Windows 7 OS, it turns out that the driver I needed was the synaptics driver. This driver was not specifically designed for my current PC-OS configuration, so I had to use the driver for Vista's 32 bit system. After installing the Touch Pad driver/software, my laptop decided that it was satisfied and would now fully function with its brand new OS. By reviewing the driver install order page (linked in an above post), I was presented with several ideas for possible downloads. When I saw the Touch Pad driver listed, I immediately reached for my side scroll and tried to use it on this page. It did not scroll, thereby solving my question, and presenting me with a great starting point for possible driver solutions. I downloaded the chipset driver, and the synaptics driver. I attempted to install the chipset driver and was informed by the install process that my current drivers were the best. I checked my device manager after installing the touch pad drivers, and viola...

No Events found!