Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 26th, 2012 05:00

inspiron n5050 no soundcard detected

Hi everyone,

Turned my inspiron on this morning and there was no sound at all.

speaker symbol on the toolbar says no output device installed.

checked the power service was running.

updated windows

updated the bios to a4.

tried to update the audio driver, received an error saying that it was not compatible with the installed hardware.

dxdiag came up blank, nothing shows up in device manager.

It's got me stumped, far as i can tell it's like the sound card has died.

Thanks in advance

Corry

3 Posts

August 29th, 2012 06:00

Fixed! instead of trying to install the audio driver manually i gave windows troubleshooting menu (troubleshoot audio playback) a whirl and i don't know what it did differently but it managed to get the driver installed.

Thanks for your help.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 26th, 2012 07:00

Hello Corry. Is this the driver you tried to install and got the error message?

IDT R308434, A01 6.10.0.6341 (dated 8/9/2012)

If that driver will not install try running the Dell Diagnostics audio tests to check for hardware failure.

3 Posts

August 27th, 2012 06:00

Jim, yes that is the driver that i tried to install.

Ran the diagnostic test no error message no test sounds or any mention of sound in the logs after the PSA test completed.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 27th, 2012 08:00

So the Dell Diagnostics tests did not come up after the PSA tests? I know that Dell no longer includes the Dell Diagnostics in the N5110 but I was hoping that the N5050 still has it. The Dell Diagnostics audio tests are the only easy to use tests that can distinguish between a software versus a hardware audio problem. The other way is to return the laptop to the original factory configuration which involves backing up data etc, . If that does not solve a problem that did not exist when the laptop was fresh out of the box, then the cause is hardware failure.

You can try running the audio tests in Dell's PCCheckup, but those tests require an audio driver so it probably won't work, but I'd give it a try anyway.

About the driver not being able to install, you don't actually need the IDT driver because if all IDT driver files are missing from the hard drive then Windows is forced to install its own native driver. You can try to do this by going to your hard drive
 c:\dell\drivers\Rxxxxxx  
Expand all folders and subfolders there. Delete all folders that have a subfolder named "WDM". Those will be the audio driver folders and it is safe to delete them. Next, reboot and normally Windows would install the native driver. If you still get the error then that is another indication of hardware failure.

The only other things I can think of to suggest are to use System Restore to return to an earlier configuration, or Factory Image Restore to return to the original configuration. Sometimes a Windows update can so thoroughly trash a system that only doing this fixes it.

1 Message

July 5th, 2014 00:00

My dell Inspiration N5050 Windows-7, 32 bit cant install audio and play audio and says that hardware changes might not have been detected how can i do please.........................

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 5th, 2014 04:00

Corryh who started this thread wrote that he used the Windows troubleshooter. I'm not sure exactly how he did that. One way is this:

Open the Control Panel (Start>Control panel). Make sure that "View by" in the upper right corner is set to "Icons", then click "Troubleshooting".

On the next screen click "Toubleshoot audio playback" under "Hardware and Sound".

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 5th, 2014 04:00

My dell Inspiration N5050 Windows-7, 32 bit cant install audio and play audio and says that hardware changes might not have been detected

> Try using Windows System Restore. (Type system restore into the Start>search box and press the Enter key.) Select a restore point dated earlier than when the issue began.

> If you go back to an earlier date but audio still does not work, try to install the IDT audio driver again.

> If you are still unable to install the audio driver, perform a system recovery.

> If the audio still does not work after a system recovery then there has been hardware failure.

No Events found!