Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

January 9th, 2008 02:00

XPS 1730 array mics and dragon naturally speaking

The microphones on the Dell XPS 1730 are listed in the sales literature as "digital array microphones."  Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred does not support array microphones.  One needs to purchase Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional which is approximately $700 more for the program.   The internal microphones may present themselves as a normal mic (maybe; just hoping). My question is: does any one know if Dragon NaturallySpeaking preferred works on the XPS 1730?

PS:  I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place.

TIA

30 Posts

January 9th, 2008 03:00

I don't know but for that kind of money you could fly round trip to France and buy a decent headset, (translate hang onto your money). There is a mic input conveniently located on the left side forward.

Sorry if I missed the point, but $700 seems redonkulous in this case.

-Shea

4 Posts

January 9th, 2008 04:00

I am not considering spending an extra $700 for the program. Worst-case scenario, I would just hang the USB mic that I'm using currently off of the new system; but if it's possible I'd just as soon use the built-in mics.  Reminds me of the days when operating system licensing was more geared toward the hardware on which they ran on rather than scalability......

Thanks anyway.....

4 Posts

January 9th, 2008 23:00

you state:
> I am using one right now and it worlks very well.
>
> Only on advice. Get USB Digital Mic/Headset ...

Thank you very much for the information.  Are you using the internal microphones or are you using a USB microphone?

36 Posts

January 9th, 2008 23:00

I am using one right now and it worlks very well.

Only on advice. Get USB Digital Mic/Headset ... a regular Mic port will not work as well as Headset with microphone that connects to Laptop via USB NOT Mic. / Headphone ports.

I hope it helps.

36 Posts

January 15th, 2008 01:00

USB Headset, I would think don't use anything cheaper than 75$ (eBAY Price)

4 Posts

January 15th, 2008 04:00

This message was dictated without revision with the internal mics.  They seem to work just fine.  Thank you very much for your time.
No Events found!