Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

J

28 Posts

November 24th, 2004 18:00

Wireless printing

I've read that one can print via a wireless laptop.  There were instructions on how to do this in a recent tech article in my local newspaper but after doing everything it didn't work.
I have a 5100 that I'm using throug a router connected to my Dell PC/Cable modem.   I understand that as long as my PC and Printer are on that I can print from my laptop in the next room.
I would appreciate any guidance in learning how to set this up.

Jerry

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Just share the printer on the wired PC, and then install drivers for it from the notebook computer.

Instructions for doing this may be found at www.practicallynetworked.com

What type of printer do you have? It is possible on some network-type printers to hook directly into an Ethernet router.

14.4K Posts

November 24th, 2004 19:00

Open my network places on your desktop then click on set up a home or small office network and use the wizard.

285 Posts

November 24th, 2004 20:00

And, I think this is all-assumed that the router needs to be *wireless* in order for all of this to work.

FWIW, I use a Dlink DI-524 and an AirLink wired usb print server.  The print server goes into one of the LAN ports on the router and this allows for any other wireless pc/laptop in my house to print via this server.

The setup isn't exactly point & click, but after screwing around with it enough it works.

28 Posts

November 24th, 2004 22:00

Thanks everyone.  I'm using a Linksys Broadband Wireless router and my printer is the HP 2210 all-in-one.  My laptop is a 5100 running XP Home and the PC is an older Pentium running 98 however I have just received the new 8400 PC I ordered but haven't set it up yet.

jerry

24 Posts

November 25th, 2004 02:00

I added a Linksys PSUS4 print server and it works like a dream.  Your printer attaches to the print server via USB, and all you have to do is just follow the instructions that come with the print server.  And it's fast, too.

(BTW, the print server also has 4 more network ports, so you can expend your network if you wish.)

Don

No Events found!