Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

November 7th, 2004 00:00

Windows Media HD content won't play correctly...

Hi, I recently had to reformat and reinstall from my Dell CD. Before I had to do this, I was able to play WMV Hi Def video files from WMVHD.com. They played full screen, and didn't stutter, or have any problem with the sound.

Now, whenever I play files that used to play correctly, they stutter, skip, and the sound doesn't work. Just to make sure the files weren't to blame, I went to WMVHD.com and re-downloaded them and I'm still having the same problem.

I went to support.dell.com and downloaded the latest ATI mobility Driver and ran it, I have the 9700 Mobility.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 7th, 2004 00:00

No sound is a codec missing problem.

stuttering can be from spyware, virus, trojan, and ACPI power manangement eating cpu slices in the background.

5 Posts

November 7th, 2004 01:00

But it's Windows Media. And it's Windows Media Player 10. There shouldn't be a problem. I'm just assuming that the no sound is indicative of the same problem with the stuttering video. I don't think they're two separate issues.

I think I'm missing a driver, or something, maybe a monitor driver, when I go to my device manager, and click on the "monitors" tab, I see five entries, all simply titled "Default Monitor". When I get properties on each one, they appear to be all the same.

That seems strange. Seems like I'd want one monitor driver in my "monitors" tab in the device manager, right?

November 22nd, 2004 23:00

Check and update your audio drivers, and then update all you can find to update from Dell.

November 22nd, 2004 23:00

Delete all those devices. Then go to Add New Hardware in the Control Panel and run it.

5 Posts

November 23rd, 2004 04:00

Delete all which devices? I'm having problems with Windows Media. I've downloaded WMVHD files from wmvhd.com to ensure that I'm using flawless files. They've played perfectly before I had to reformat everything, and I'm pretty sure I installed and updated all drivers. When I go to my device manager, I don't see any issues with any hardware. What should I be looking for?

I still haven't been able to isolate what could be the problem, which really bites because when I got the computer, it played perfectly. I've got that 15 inch WUXGA TFT widescreen too and that HiDef WMV looked just absolutely perfect. Best video I've seen on a computer, and I just want it to work again...arrrgh.

November 23rd, 2004 13:00

I meant delete all the monitors, then run Add Hardware. Your computer is trying to handle 5 screens at once, when it really isn't. The choppy playback is a result of to much processor power being used. If you know how, stop all the unneccesary processes, and try to lower the page file usage. If this doesn't help, I would suggest you find new drivers for your system.

Yes, I love that great picture too. I had this problem after I reinstalled XP Pro. Updating all the drivers and getting new BIOS on the GPU fixed it. Now I have a flawless picture and playback. I didn't have the sound problem, though.

5 Posts

November 23rd, 2004 16:00

Okay, I'll do that tonight. I'll go into my hardware manager and delete all the monitors, then go to my "add new hardware" wizard and re-install them. That is, if I'm understanding you correctly.

What's this about the "bios on the GPU"? I have updated my bios I think, but I'm not sure about "on the GPU". Does this mean the bios on my ATI Radeon? Because I actually got a little utility that said that my bios was currently updated that I downloaded from the Dell support site. I've updated the ATI bios, I've updated the ATI driver, I've updated my Dell's bios, and I *believe* that I've installed the latest sound driver (but I'll make sure again tonight).

I really have to thank you. You're the first person INCLUDING DELL CUSTOMER SUPPORT who have turned me toward a good direction. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Jeff

5 Posts

November 23rd, 2004 17:00

I have the Insprion 9100 Game Laptop. I've got a 128 MB ATI Radeon, P4+HT @ 3.2gHz and a gig of ram. I use it to develop on mainly, but I wanted a laptop that was HD capable because I have an HD camcorder (720p) and I do little HD videos on my Powerbook and have been interested in the new HD WMV stuff, so I wanted something that could handle Hi-Definition Video.

I had to reinstall XP Pro (just like you) and that's when it all hit the fan. The funny thing is, it's JUST the WMVHD stuff that causes the stuttering. Any other lower bandwidth video works fine (avi, mpeg, mov, even full quality DV running in Quicktime). I don't have any videogames, but I was thinking about getting a fairly big one (like Battlefield Vietnam, Doom 3, etc) just to see if it's an issue *specifically* with my Video Card, but at this point I just don't think it is. I think it's doing something like you're saying, something is causing the video to choke a system that'd normally just chew thru it. I pointed out when I called Dell support, that I had 5 monitors listed under the Radeon's control panel and the Dell support person didn't even flinch. Like they were supposed to be there, which was weird.

I would also download the latest audio driver for your sound device.

What kind of Inspiron do you have?

Message Edited by TheComputerDude on 11-23-2004 01:24 PM

I do mean to delete all the monitors in the Device Manager, then re-install. If you have the latest Dell drivers for your Radeon, that will also mean that the BIOS on the Graphics Processing Unit will have been updated as well.
No Events found!