Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 7th, 2015 05:00

WiFi adapter not found in device manager/cannot enable WiFi

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 17R with Windows 8.1 OS. WiFi is not working. No WiFi adapter found under device manager. I ran through multiple windows updates to try and identify the adapter/problem. I have also downloaded the driver from dell but I received a "failed to install" error. Please assist.

2 Posts

May 8th, 2015 05:00

Appreciate your response. Contacted Dell about the problem. Problem was a bad wireless card. Dell will replace with a new card.

2K Posts

May 8th, 2015 00:00

Hi belice6,

If the wireless card is not detected, then one cannot install the drivers for it as the hardware itself is not seen. Could you send us a screenshot of the device manager with network adapters expanded?
What is the exact system model? Does the ethernet work fine?

Update the BIOS from support.dell.com - http://dell.to/1Pwntme - enter the service tag and select drivers and downloads and run the BIOS update. Restart system and check if the wireless card is detected.

Also from the same link - download the service manual - and try reseating the wireless card.

Keep us updated.

2K Posts

May 8th, 2015 13:00

Hi Belice6,

Thank you for the update.

Hopefully, the service call should fix the issue. If the issue is unresolved or should you face any other concerns, feel free to contact us via the forum/ phone line and we shall do our best to help.

For faster communication - contact us via Twitter - @dellcares

No Events found!