Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2012 18:00

Webcam not detected Windows 7

Hi, I recently replaced my laptops hard drive with a new hard drive due to the old hard drive being 1 Yrs old. Every since I replaced my laptops hard drive and re-installed Windows 7 my camara doesn't work, I have all of the driver dvds but no "webcam resource dvd". Also there is no "imaging devices" in the device managers menu, i've been searching the web alot and no help. All answers are greatly appreciated:emotion-1:.

(Windows 7 64-bit)

(Dell Inspiron 1440)

June 19th, 2012 19:00

Hi,

Welcome to Dell community forum.Please download and install both the software and the driver for webcam.

The download link for the application is:

The download link for the driver is:

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats  

Please try to download and install and restart the computer and try using the webcam.  Please reply and let us know if you are still unable to use the webcam. It is always our pleasure to assist you.

Regards,

Santosh J

Certified Dell Community Professional

June 19th, 2012 20:00

That did not work, and still no imaging devices bar. The computer is not under warranty and i've been going through hell trying to fix this. Is it a webcam driver missing?

June 19th, 2012 20:00

Hi, thanks for responding. I'm checking now

9 Posts

June 20th, 2012 02:00

I have the same issue:

- webcam not detected

- device manager shows: other devices -> bluetooth device (unknown)  ...instead of webcam

- unistallation and reinstallation of drivers failed : I tried with two different set of drivers from dell website and a package downloaded from a microsoft repository

- unistallation, reinstallation and updating of Dell webcam central failed

- manual detection of drivers (in device manager, through Add legacy hardware -> drivers disc) failed : windows doesn't show any certified driver when  QCM20Q.inf is selected

- Seems not an hardware problem, since I've followed this procedure (en.community.dell.com/.../3557.webcam-diagnostics.aspx) and passed all tests

The problem of non-recognized webcam seemed not triggered by any change in my laptop, except of ONE thing: I deleted a folder where skype was used to save its snapshot without changing skype folder setting BEFORE. Don't know if it makes any sense, but anyway I tried to restore folder location and change skype settings, no luck.

Can't understand why windows is convinced I've a bluetooth device, here :-)

(Windows 7 64-bit)

(Dell XPS 17 L720X)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 20th, 2012 03:00

roccobruno,

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

Also try running the Webcam Diagnostics

Did the webcam show in the symptom tree?

Any error messages?

Is the computer under warranty?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 20th, 2012 03:00

Second2None,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Desktop/Notebook system software and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Desktop/Notebook system software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

9 Posts

June 20th, 2012 04:00

Thank you Rick for the rapid reply. No I haven't recently re-installed OS, I've read your many detailed messages throughout the forum ;-)

anyway fortunately I've SOLVED the issue.

SOLVED flashing the BIOS with these updates (Dell XPS 17 L702X):

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=T4J7J&FileId=2731103524&productCode=xps-l702x&urlProductCode=False

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=57XFC&FileId=2905994952&productCode=xps-l702x&urlProductCode=False

Good luck to others!

Claudio

June 20th, 2012 15:00

Rick i've seen you through numerous posts and i've tried all of your suggestions and none of them worked. Will someone just give me a link to the webcam driver please? This is getting frustrating i Uninstalled the webcam two weeks before prior because it was kinda showing grainy and it has failed to re-install like the dell people said it would. After this incident i'll never buy another dell product again.

9 Posts

June 20th, 2012 17:00

look behind your laptop, find an 11 digit number, fill the form below:

www.dell.com/.../DriversHome

et voilà, you'll find all of your drivers (webcam drivers included). Take into account my previous message too, and eventually look for bios updates of your laptop model too.

good luck

Claudio

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 20th, 2012 17:00

Second2None,

Windows 7 is suppose to provide the drivers for the webcams except some of the XPS Models. Those models, go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number and then your operating system. Under Input, the webcam drivers are there.

Many people that loose their webcam is sometimes during reinstalling the operating system. The notebook system utility and the chipset drivers need installed first or the rest of the drivers will fail to install. These drivers jnow what is attached to each specific system.

You can try and download Dell Webcam Central it may or may not install. On the newer models, you should be able to...

Using Internet Explorer, go to My Dell Downloads :: Login Use the same email address and password you used here. Click on add system. Your paid programs can be found there. The latest version of Dell Webcam Central is there.

Running the Webcam Diagnostics and answering the questions, I can tell you what needs to be done to get the webcam working.

Did the webcam show in the symptom tree?

Any error messages?

Is the computer under warranty? If not, how far out of warranty?

Rick

June 20th, 2012 18:00

Hi, thanks once again for replying, Weird thing is my webcam was just working 4 weeks ago. After I uninstalled the webcam driver this is were the issues come in. I installed the chipset driver first I think, and the computer is just 2 weeks out of warranty Dell explained they wanted $129.00 just for this one problem and you can figure where the rest of that call ended lol ;). I'll just go to Best Buy and buy another laptop, this is clearly just a waste of time. Thanks so much for the fast replies I appreciate it, you must have to have alot of patience when dealing with a dell laptop, and that the one thing I really don't have because of my job. But once again  thanks all :D

June 26th, 2012 12:00

Hi,

I am sorry as the issue did not get resolved from the troubleshooting steps that we provided. Since the webcam issue is still not fixed on your computer, I request you to provide the service tag of the computer.

Please do not post any of your personal information or even the service tag of the computer on public forum. I request you to accept my friend request and send the service tag under private message. This would enable us to follow up further on this issue.

We will try our best to fix this issue as soon as possible.

Regards,

Santosh J

Certified Dell Community Professional

13 Posts

December 26th, 2012 14:00

I just ended up a call with dell support and they reduced the fee to $89. I asked them what if the problem is hardware related? They replied 'they will refund the money'. I was surprised $89 to fix a driver?? Wow...

1 Message

March 3rd, 2015 06:00

please could you provide in details how you solved this problem as i have the same and i couldnt solve till now.

thx,

May 13th, 2016 13:00

I've been trying to figure this out all morning with my Dell Integrated Webcam, here's what worked for me.
In Device Manager the "Imaging Devices" option was missing for me as well.

1) Open Device Manager

2) Go to the drop down menu at the top and click the "View" tab.

3) Select "Show Hidden Devices"
          -In my case the devices in "Imaging Devices" were all hidden for some reason

4) Go to "Imaging Devices" and uninstall the devices

5) Reboot computer

In my case this was the fix, Windows reinstalled the device during boot-up and my camera started working again. Hope it helps!

No Events found!