Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

March 12th, 2004 19:00

USB to serial Belkin adapter problems (Inspiron 5150)

I recently purchased Inspiron 5150 (Win XP Home, P4-M 3.06 GHz, 40 GB HD, 768 MB RAM, UXGA).  I happen to own old IBM WorkPad c3 that I am happy with.  Unfortunately, it has serial port connection, so I went to Belkin website and purchased their USB to serial adapter.

I installed the drivers (well, they are not digitally signed to be designed for Windows XP), and everything was fine for a while.  Was able to synch with my PDA without any problem.  But then something mysterious happened.  I got blue screen of death.  Upon restarting and submitting error report to Microsoft, I got analysis report that crash was most probably caused by U2S****.SYS, and they suggested to download new drivers from the third party website.  Well, I did as they suggested, and downloaded the drivers (U2SXP).  I tried to uninstall previous version of these drivers, but was not able to locate anything with the same name.  Can I uninstall drivers that came with Belkin adapter and replace them with these U2SXPs?  I don ot have any experience in these things and would greatly appreciate any help.  Thank you!

3 Posts

March 13th, 2004 02:00

Just some extra background information.  Microsoft error report comes back that I have to update USB Serial Driver (U2SWDM.SYS) from Magic Control Technology Group.  I got the zip files and unzipped them, but that's how far my knowledge goes.  I also located the old U2SXP drivers.  How do I uninstall the old drivers and replace them with the ones from zip files? Thank you very much for your help!

3 Posts

March 13th, 2004 02:00

And these are instructions from the Company's website http://www.mct.com.tw/faq_usb_serialp925.htm

!!Please make sure the usb to serial converter is unplug to computer when you install or uninstall the driver  

You have driver installed already, but Microsoft shown the message that you need to installed USB Serial Driver(U2SWDM.SYS) Answer :
That mean that you didn't remove the prior version driver. So
please remove the prior driver with these two uninstall files then restart the computer. After reboot the system, please check "Add/ Remove program", if you see "U232 P9/P25" please remove it. Then you can install the new driver.

So how do install those new drivers? Using device manager? Please helpppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Events found!