Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 4th, 2013 12:00

Trackpad randomly clicking everywhere

My XPS 13 is two months old.  At first, I was able to scroll down a webpage using pg up and down or the space bar, or clicking the scroll bar.  Then suddenly my cursor started randomly clicking somewhere in the screen which bounces me out of the area on the page where I can use those shortcuts to move up and down the page.  I can use those shortcuts again if I click on the page or in the scroll area.  But I have to continually do that to reestablish where my cursor is supposed to be to enable those movements.  I can see when my trackpad has randomly clicked, by something subtly changing visually on the screen.  As well, while I am composing an email, I am randomly bounced out of the field I have been typing in.  Also, I am randomly bounced out of the website address field as I'm typing in addresses or search terms.  I use IE.  Any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

September 4th, 2013 12:00

Hi Betholwen,

Please disable the Trackpad and connect an external mouse to the system and check if the issue persists.

To disable the trackpad:

1. Go to Control Panel and select Mouse.
    The Mouse properties window is displayed.
  2. Open the Cypress TrackPad tab and then select Click to Change Cypress TrackPad Settings.
  3. Click Disable to change the settings.

Now connect and external mouse to the system and check the functionlaity of the cursor.

Please post the results.

3 Posts

September 6th, 2013 09:00

Don't have a mouse to attach, so I'm not trying that yet.  However, here's some more info.  The problem only happens when I'm on the internet.  Happens with IE and Chrome.  As I'm typing this, periodically the top of my screen (above and around the IE website address block and tabs) changes from blue to grey.  At that moment, my cursor is no longer in this box for typing and I have to click back where my cursor should be.  What do you think this means?

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

September 6th, 2013 17:00

Hi Betholwen,

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Trackpad drivers and check? If not please follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Open Charms Search box in Desktop mode and type “Device Manager” and press enter.
  2. In the “Device Manager” window, double click “Mouse and other pointing devices”.
  3. Right click "Dell Trackpad", click "Uninstall", and ensure to check the box “Delete driver software for this device”.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation.
  5. Restart the computer.
  6. Use the following link to download the Dell Trackpad: http://dell.to/17F08dH
  7. Enter the service tag of the system and select the operating system from the list and select Input application and select the Trackpad Drivers from the list.
  8. From the list select Inputàselect the Dell Design Driver for “Trackpad””à select Download file.
  9. Once the download is completed, run the driver file.
  10. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
  11. Restart the computer and check the functionality of the Trackpad.

If the issue persists, follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Go to Control Panel and select Mouse.The Mouse Properties window is displayed.
  2. Under the Cypress TrackPad tab, select Click to Change Cypress TrackPad Settings.
  3. Under the Palm Rejection tab, reduce the palm sensitivity. Select Apply and then click OK.

Please post the results.

1 Message

September 8th, 2013 05:00

Mine is the exact same problem with an XPS 13 that is less than 1 month old.  I have tried both of the solutions show above and both resulted in no change.  It's extremely annoying to be typing in my email and continually need to bring the cursor back to the page/sentence I'm on. 

My wireless mouse is a Logitech Anywhere MX and I have tried adjusting all the settings on the trackpad.  This really needs a fix!!!

3 Posts

September 8th, 2013 18:00

Yeah, and it turns out my problem isn't only while working in the internet.  It's also in Word.  Takes me much too long to type now that I have to click back at the end of the sentence continually. I also can't use shortcuts such as using the spacebar to scroll down a page in IE.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

September 10th, 2013 12:00

Hi rrumsey and Betholwen,

I suggest you to disconnect all the external peripherals connected to the laptop and update the Chipset drivers, Quickset application and BIOS for the system by following the below mentioned steps:

1. Visit the following website: http://dell.to/17F08dH
  2. Enter the Service tag of the computer in the box provided and click “Submit”.
  3. Select the Derivers & Downloads tab.
  4. In this page, click drop down arrow to select the Operating System which is installed in the computer.
  5. Install the Chipset drivers, Quickset application and update the BIOS to the latest version from the list.
  6. Ensure to connect the AC Adapter to the computer and battery level is above 15% while updating BIOS.

Restart the laptop and check the functionality of the Trackpad.

If the issue persists, Trackpad needs to be replaced, please private message the system service tag, contact number and registered owner’s name. 
To private message, accept my friend request; click my Dell-User name and click Send a Private message.

Awaiting your response!

No Events found!