Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

JD

August 27th, 2011 07:00

The AC adapter type cannot be determined - Battery not charging "plugged in, not charging"

I own a DELL Inspiron 1420. Recently when I started my laptop the following message appeared at startup "The AC adapter type cannot be determined. This will prevent optimal system performance. Strike F3 key ( before F1 or F2 key) if you don’t want to see power warning messages again.Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility". 

So, pressed F1 key to continue but I found that my battery was not getting charged. I tried the same for couple of times but the problem persisted. My battery got drained completely.

Next time when the power warning message appeared at startup, I pressed F3 to avoid seeing the power warning message. After this also the battery was not getting charged. I checked in the BIOS and it showed "plugged in, not charging". When my laptop starts and if I remove my adapter the system trips / shuts immediately.

I thought this might be the problem of my adapter, so I went to a store and tried with 3 or 4 different adapters of same wattage (65 W and 90 W) but the same error message was appearing "plugged in, not charging". I also checked the same by installing a new battery but still the same problem persists. So, it confirms that my adapter and battery is OK and there is definitely some other problem.

I went to the DELL Service Center and they informed that the motherboard has to be replaced. I can't find a technical reason why the motherboard needs to be replaced. I checked my system using DELL Support Center and it showed no problem with the devices. Is the life of a motherboard only 3 years?? I am using a desktop PC since last 11 years which is not a branded one (its an assembled PC) but till date it didn't have any such problem. DELL is a brand name and so it's product should be at par with other OEMs.

I request if someone can provide a suitable solution for the problem stated above.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

August 27th, 2011 10:00

I thought this might be the problem of my adapter, so I went to a store and tried with 3 or 4 different adapters of same wattage (65 W and 90 W) but the same error message was appearing "plugged in, not charging".

To charge the battery, you need a genuine Dell AC adapter.

2.4K Posts

August 27th, 2011 15:00

Also do you have the latest BIOS installed.

August 28th, 2011 03:00

I meant to say that I went to an authorised DELL store and checked with "genuine" Dell AC Adapter. The AC Adapters were new and "genuine" DELL adapters. I tried with both 65 W and 90 W but the problem still persists. I have no doubts about the adapter or the battery as I also checked my laptop with a different new and "genuine" DELL battery at an authorised Dell Service Center.

August 28th, 2011 03:00

I am using the latest BIOS (A10) which is available at the Dell website.

1 Message

December 14th, 2011 04:00

I have the same problem, I even ordered a new battery. Just pushing the plug in to the laptop hard did the trick, oh, I also sprayed inside the plug hole with contact cleaner (alcohol).

February 8th, 2012 06:00

there is software also for charging   that might have corrupted my email is < ADMIN NOTE : Email id removed per privacy policy > download battmom free download that will show battery as well  adaptor  you just boot your computer or promblem with only power switch 

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

July 13th, 2012 16:00

I have the same problem, it happened because i actually inserted a dell adapter that has higher wattage than my laptop's own adapter, and a little click sounded in the socket and it short circuited the adapter. even when i inserted back its own adapter still the problem was unresolved.
I went to a DELL technical center and they told me that the supply board, which the socket is connected to and which supplies the laptop and the battery with power, needs to be changed. This board costs about 50 - 70 $. So there is no way the motherboard needs to be changed. But I believe that this problem could be resolved by software.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 13th, 2012 18:00

If you heard a "click" - you fried something.  On some systems, there is a power board that can be replaced.  Others require a mainboard replacement.  It cannot be resolved with software.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

July 17th, 2012 19:00

thats the only suggestion that i have, but how come its fried and still supplying power to the laptop without charging the battery. Its supposed to be either supplying power and charging the battery or not at all, not  even "plugged in, not charging" thing

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 17th, 2012 19:00

If the charging circuit is what was destroyed, it's very likely you'd see exactly what you're seeing.  

1 Message

August 1st, 2012 14:00

even i am facing exactly the same problem . bt it s hit n trial at times. the battery gets charged may b once in fortnight or so . plzz sme 1 suggest d solution.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 1st, 2012 15:00

First thing to try is a new Dell AC adapter.  If that doesn't solve the problem, the system needs an internal repair - power jack, power board or mainboard replacement, depending on the model.

1 Message

June 24th, 2015 13:00

I just purchased a new Dell Inspiron 11- 3000 series. The second day that adapter message appeared. States it is plugged in but not charging. It must be charging as at 95% after a few days now. I have only used it plugged in so far. I have seen ways to disable the message but would prefer not to do that. I have yet to be able to enter BIOS to do some additional checking but keep trying. Hard for me to believe all the needed repairs since a brand new computer. There must be something going on as I read many have this same problem.

No Events found!