Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 7th, 2012 05:00

Studio Laptop 1558 Power light flashes Orange then White

Hello,

We have a Studio Laptop 1558. It does not turn on. When plugged in with the AC power cable and the on botton is pressed the power indicator, on the laptop, alternately flashes orange then white; i.e the light goes off - white - off - orange - off - white - off - orange - off....The power light on the AC cable looks OK, it is it's normal blue colour. When running just on the battery it does not turn on either. Having dug around for a good few hours I can't really find an indication of what that signifies.

Does anyone know what the alternating orange/white or where I can find out?

Many thanks

943 Posts

November 7th, 2012 07:00

Hi,

Thanks for contacting the community.

Kindly follow the below mentioned steps that might help you.

1)     Remove all external peripherals, AC Adaptor and Battery from the system and hold the power button down for 20 seconds, to discharge “Static Flea Power”, after that connect AC Adaptor and battery and restart your machine.

2)     I would suggest you to run Dell diagnostics on the system. To run Dell diagnostics, Turn on the system, press at the initial Dell logo screen, and select Diagnostics from the boot menu. In case your system shuts down while running diagnostics or you get any error message please let me know.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards
Prateek K
#iworkfordell

November 7th, 2012 23:00

Hello,

Thank you for replying.

We have tried 1). It has had no effect. The orange / white flash remains.

Regarding 2). It does not power up; i.e. it does not get as far as the dell logo screen.

Have you got any more ideas?

November 9th, 2012 00:00

So, back to the question. Does anyone know what the flashing light means or where we can find out?

943 Posts

November 12th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I would suggest you to remove  the battery from the system and turn your system on with only AC Adaptor plugged in and check how it works ; if the issue still persists please provide me the Service tag or the Express service code of the system in a private message. I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards
Prateek K
#iworkfordell

6 Posts

April 24th, 2013 02:00

Hi,

I just came across this thread while looking for a solution for the same problem mentioned above by  "jonnyplantpot".

few days ago my studio 1558 laptop was working fine, when I tried to switch on again nothing happens. Also my laptop won't power on with only the AC Adapter plugged (battery removed). The cable's blue colour goes on when plugged so I am assuming its still working.

I pressed and held the indicator button on the battery for few seconds, all the lights goes on then it goes off for a second and all of them goes on again, does that mean the battery is dead?

I tried all solutions I could find online so far, still no luck. I don't have another battery to test, but I will get a new one if this will fix this issue.

Any help would be apprecaited...

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

April 24th, 2013 02:00

Hi dell shico,

Welcome to the Community,

The battery Charge Gauge can be used to check the Battery Health and Battery Charge by either pressing once or pressing and holding the status button on the charge gauge on the battery.

Battery Charge: To check the battery charge, press and release the status button on the battery charge gauge to illuminate the charge level lights. Each light represents approximately 20 percent of the total battery charge. For example, if four of the lights are on, the battery has 80 percent of its charge remaining. If no lights appear, the battery has no charge.

Battery Health:To check the battery health using the charge gauge, press and hold the status button on the battery charge gauge for at least 3 seconds. If no lights appear, the battery is in good condition and more than 80 percent of its original charge capacity remains. Each light represents incremental degradation. If five lights appear, less than 60 percent of the charge capacity remains and you should consider replacing the battery.

Now if the AC adapter is working(has blue light on the adapter connector barrel) then the system should be able to power on even without the battery connected.

Does the power button LED turn on(Solid White or Blinking white) when you try to turn on the system(either on battery or both AC adapter and battery connected)?Are you able to press the power button normally(any mechanical failure)?

Let me know you findings.

Thank You

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

April 24th, 2013 03:00

Hi dell shico,

Battery looks to be fine.

The LED above the AC adapter connector port is the battery status LED.When AC Adapter is connected to the system(with Battery connected) the battery status LED indicates the following:

1.Solid White/Amber: Indicates that the battery is charging.

2.Flashing White/Amber: Indicates that the battery is almost fully charged.

As per your findings the battery status LED goes off after one second that indicates the system is not getting power  and the battery is not getting charged and also since the power button LED does not turn on it could be some issue with the system board.

Is your system within warranty?

If you're comfortable removing and replacing parts on the system you may try removing and reseating some of the components such as memory module,HDD,keyboard,optical drive and also check the AC adapter connector(cable) as shown on the service manual.

For steps you can access Service Manual from this link: lt.dell.com/.../lt.aspx

Let me know how it goes.

6 Posts

April 24th, 2013 03:00

Hi Roshan,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Battery Charge: I pressed and released the battery status button and all 5 lights appeared.

Battery Health: I held the button for at least 3 seconds, all 5 lights appeared too.

When I plug in the AC adapter the indicator light above it goes on for  second and then goes off (white).

when I try pressing the power button, the power button LED blinks and goes off (you can hardly see the light) and the light above the AC Adapter goes on for one second and then off just like when I first plugged in the cable.

The power button actual condition seems to be ok when I press it (no obvious mechanical failure).

Anything else I could check?  

6 Posts

April 24th, 2013 04:00

Hi Roshan,

Unfortunately the system is not within warranty any more. I will try removing and replacing the parts on the system and do all the checks.

Can't do this right now, but once I get the chance and take it apart I will let you know how it goes.

Thank you for your time

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

April 24th, 2013 04:00

Hi dell shico,

Please feel free to post back when ever you try.

6 Posts

April 24th, 2013 07:00

Hi Roshan,

Yeah definitely, will post the results once I test it.

Thanks again

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

Hi dell shico,

I would suggest you to see if you can first replace the AC adapter socket along with the cable or test if power is getting to the system board through the power cable on the AC adapter connector socket(that's much cheaper option then having to replace system board).  

6 Posts

Hi Roshan,

So I took my laptop apart to the last piece of hardware and put it back together (followed http://tinyurl.com/bm5c75h) , but still no change.

Even without the memory sticks, HDD, keyboard and optical drive connected it still won't power on.

So I am guessing as you mentioned before it could be the motherboard, or maybe a faulty AC adapter socket since the power is not going through?

2 Posts

September 19th, 2013 03:00

I am having similar problems. Did ya manage to find a solution to yours?

2 Posts

September 19th, 2013 03:00

Anyone here managed to fix this problem?

No Events found!