Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 8th, 2012 12:00

Space bar does not work

Hello there, My laptop seems to hate my spacebar when the left and up arrow keys are held down. I though it was a problem with project 64 because when right and up arrow keys are pressed down, the space still works. I found out that it was not the project 64 beacuse when i tried playing NFS Underground, space still did not work when left and up arrow key is pressed down.

Any ideas why and how to fix it?

13 Posts

October 8th, 2012 15:00

Just tried it with notebad. Unfortunatly, it still does not work. I have the latest version of the bios

A18

2.2K Posts

October 8th, 2012 15:00

Hi J.Naw,

Would request you to check the functionality of the Spacebar key out of the games environment. May be in MSWord, Notepad etc.

In case it’s working fine over there then it’s not the issue with the key. Might be its only related to the games environment.

Try to redefine the space bar function in the game to a different key.

Apart from the above steps you can try to update the BIOS on the system.

Please follow the steps below to update the BIOS:

Please click on the link below which will take you to the driver’s website: http:// dell.to/uIo3ef

Enter the Service Tag of the computer and choose the Operating System installed on the computer. Please update the latest version of BIOS available.

Please keep me posted with the result.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordel

2.2K Posts

October 8th, 2012 16:00

Hi J.Naw,

I would suggest you to try the space bar key in safe mode, in case, it still does not work than the keypad needs to be replaced.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

13 Posts

October 8th, 2012 16:00

How do i doo that?

2.2K Posts

October 8th, 2012 17:00

Hi J.Naw,

Apologies for not explaining the process of booting into safe mode.

To boot in safe mode, turn off the computer. Once the computer is off, turn on the computer and start tapping F8, it would display Advance Options. Please use the keyboard to highlight Safe Mode and hit enter, your computer will boot in safe mode.

In safe mode open notepad and try to check if spacebar key works,in case, it still does not work than the keypad needs to be replaced.

For reference, you can also click on http://bit.ly/8X5sKf

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

13 Posts

October 9th, 2012 11:00

^^^^^

EDIT

By the way, I might not be able to do a safe boot, beacuse i am dual-booting linux and windows. I may not go into windows, just get stuck....

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

J.Naw,

Start, type

osk

Hit enter. This should bring up the On Screen Keyboard. Try the spacebar there. It it works, then I would say the keyboard will need replaced. If under warranty, I would have you click on the Blue DELL-Manshu S on the next page start conversation with and then you could provide the following information to them.

Name

Shipping Address

Phone number

email adress

service tag

But DELL-Manshu S does NOT have their setting set to allow conversations from everyone.

So if you're under warranty, then contact Dell Tech Support in your Country.

Rick

13 Posts

I think it may be the keyboard, beacuse i did the same test on linux mint, and the space bar still did not work. How will changing a keyboard fix the problem. Would there be a dislocated wire in the keyboard or something. (sorry, but i just want to know....)

13 Posts

October 9th, 2012 16:00

Thankyou guys. I am under warrenty, but i have sadly bought the computer used at the laptop-depot. I will go there and talk to them about it.

No Events found!