Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2017 03:00

Size of headphone jack

Hi there, I have a XPS 13 9360 and thought my Apple headphones might have fitted into the jack, but no luck. Can you tell me if the headphone jack is the standard 3.5mm or something different. Can anyone recommend a brand of earphones to use?? Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 5th, 2017 07:00

They definitely do fit into the jack.  The 9360 uses a 3.5mm headSET jack so that it can support stereo audio and mic in simultaneously on a single jack.  It's the same physical size but has an extra contact to support the additional channel.  You'll notice that the male connector on headsets have a third "ring" in order to separate this extra channel, whereas headphones that lack mics only have 2 rings.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 5th, 2017 08:00

The microphone, headphone, and headset jack sockets on all of the Dell laptops are supposed to be 3.5mm, however this year we have gotten some complaints of the jacks being too tight, so a vendor could be drifting off the specs a bit. If other standard plugs will not go into the jack, report the issue it to tech support.

3 Posts

October 6th, 2017 13:00

I have the same exact problem as Soosey. I just bought a Dell XPS 13, received it a few days ago, and tried plugging in my new Apple headphones that I also bought recently and directly from the Apple store. I have to shove my headphones into the jack to fit, and it's a struggle to pull it out (I feel like I'm gonna rip the headphones!).

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 6th, 2017 14:00

The Apple store lists the basic headphones which come with an iPhone as 3.5 mm.  I have two sets of those types of headphones and they fit my 9365 fine.

Are you folks having problems with initial fit or the depth necessary to complete the contacts.  Mine don't really show any resistance until about a 1/4 inch prior to seating.

Have you used a light to look into the port to make sure nothing is blocking the plug?  There could be a possibility something could be misaligned.

3 Posts

October 6th, 2017 16:00

Yes, it "fits," as in it can technically go completely into the jack til the whole metal tip of the headphone plug disappears... But the jack itself is very tight, and I need to jam the headphone plug to get in it, and I need to yank it to take it out. The headphones don't make audio unless it's completely plugged in.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 7th, 2017 08:00

The force needed to insert and remove the plug may be more than you expect, but hard for us to compare against our experiences.  I don't have to "yank" the plug out but gently leverage it out using my fingers.

If all of your current headsets fit the same way, can you give us an example of a device which seems normal, such as an iPhone, so we might be able to compare.

I suppose, as mentioned, your particular port might be smaller than other similar ports due to a manufacturing problem so maybe other posters will encounter the same problem.  The force required for me seems to be about the same on my iPod, iPhone and 9365.

3 Posts

October 8th, 2017 17:00

The headphone fits perfectly fine in my older ASUS laptop and in my other (and other) iPhones. It smoothly clicks in and out of those ports/jacks with little restraint.

4 Posts

October 29th, 2017 20:00

Thanks for the info. I tried again and it did take more force than I anticipated.

No Events found!