Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2017 18:00

Registry cleaners-good or bad?

I have three quick questions:

Are registry cleaners , such as CC Cleaner, helpful or harmful, a necessary thing or not? I have used the CC cleaner before, but I saw that MS recommends against them. Any comments?

Second: I see a Bios update available for my laptop, Dell Inspirion5000 series, 5459 qnd 5559. Is it a good idea to install this? Helpful or harmful? Necessary or not?

Third: an update for Intel Newtork. Same questions.

My laptop running Win 10 is working fine and I do not want to screw it up.

Thanks

53 Posts

April 18th, 2017 21:00

I haven't found any problems cleaning the registry using C cleaner.

5.2K Posts

April 19th, 2017 06:00

Unless the documentation for the BIOS update indicates it will resolve a problem you are having, do not do it. There is a small but real chance that the update could brick the computer. For the network driver update, check to see if it will be helpful. There are very few reasons to do any driver updates. NEVER use driver update scanning programs to identify updates. You do not know if the updates it will install are safe. Always use official Dell updates.

You rarely NEED to use registry clean-up programs, as registry updates will not really slow the machine down. Having said this, however, I routinely use both free Advanced System Care and Wise Care 360 to clean up everything in mine, including the registry. I have never had a problem with either over many years. I used to use CCleaner way back, also with no problems.

21 Posts

April 19th, 2017 11:00

1. I use CCleaner regularly on a few machines, primarily in conjunction with Windows Disk Cleanup to get the garbage off the system drive.  Their registry cleaner has never caused me any problems but in reality it's almost never actually necessary.

2. If the new BIOS does not resolve an issue you are actually experiencing (check the release notes), then generally speaking I would not upgrade.

3. In my experience updating using the Intel network software directly from Intel is safe, however it's usually unnecessary.  Unless you have a very new NIC (wired or wireless), you are probably already running the latest available driver.  Check here to see if there's actually a driver update for your NIC in the latest package or not.  It's for Wireless only, I can't find one for wired:

www.intel.com/.../000005559.html

e.g. for the 2230 card, driver 15.18.0.1 is the latest that supports it,  even though the absolute newest driver is 19.50.1.5.  The actual Proset package version doesn't matter.

You likely don't need any of the advanced services stuff in the Intel Wireless Proset downloader, so if you already have the latest driver, there's no need to install.  If your card is not listed, it's no longer supported and you definitely have the latest driver from Windows Update.

For wired, again unless it's a very new card Windows Update should give you the latest driver.  You do not need the Proset software unless you're intending to do advanced configuration with VLANs, teaming, etc.

If you do decide to update, make sure you that you download the latest versions of the Dell-supplied drivers ahead of time in case you need them.  I sincerely doubt there is any value in messing with a wired NIC, but I have seen wireless drivers resolve problems with certain kinds of access points and security protocols on older cards.  If you aren't having any actual problems with networking, it's probably best to leave well enough alone, but I think this is handy information to have if you do run into any issues.

22 Posts

April 20th, 2017 16:00

thanks to all who replied for the good answers

No Events found!