Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

September 9th, 2005 16:00

Problem with unrecognized AC adapter/unable to recharge batteries update BIOS

Hi,

I have a problem with the my Inspiron 8600 not recognizing my AC adapter. That causes a lot of problems such as 1) not being able to charge my batteriers and 2) not being able to update my bios.

Is there anything I can do to either 1) force a bios update (it checks to see that the AC adapater is plugged in) 2) Download some freaky driver that will allow it to recognize the thing

For the record the AC adapter is a replacement adapter, and did not come with my machine originally. It was shipped by Dell as a replacement when the original gave out.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 9th, 2005 22:00

The problem, almost certainly, is a faulty mainboard. DO NOT force a BIOS flash - you could turn a partially operational system into a dead one.

September 12th, 2005 10:00

The problem is almost certainly the shoddy Dell AC adapter. The replacements seem to be no better than the original equipment. I've dealt with this problem before. Below is a post of mine from October 2004 in which I describe the problem to another less-than-satisfied customer:

=========================

The problem arises suddenly. One day everything works great. But the next time you turn on the laptop you get a BIOS-generated error message telling you that the "AC adapter is not recognized", and that your laptop's performance might be affected. The warning helpfully informs you that you can press F1, F2 or F3. One of those options takes you into the BIOS settings, another one turns off the AC adapter error message so that do don't see it anymore, and the third option lets you continue booting up but leaves the error message enabled so you see it the next time you reboot.

If you have seen the above error message, it is most likely because the little "brain" inside your AC adapter has died. Dell has placed a "brain" inside all Dell AC adapters so that they can communicate with your laptop. The AC adapter, in effect, says "Hey, I'm a genuine Dell AC adapter." Your laptop listens for the message from the adapter, and if it doesn't receive the message it assumes that you are using a non-Dell AC adapter, or some other non-approved power source. Your laptop continues to use the power from the "unidentified" AC adapter, thus your PC continues to operate, but to punish you for your insolence your laptop refuses to charge the battery.

Your AC adapter continues to work, in that it continues to provide the proper voltage for your laptop to operate. But, because the adapter's little brain has suffered some kind of electronic stroke, your laptop refuses to use its power to charge your battery. This is a Dell "feature" that seems to be totally undocumented, and is not even known to most Dell Support technicians.

I should also point out that it is possible that the problem is not the AC adapter at all. It could be that your laptop has gone "deaf," and is no longer able to hear the AC adapter's messages. If that is the case, then your motherboard will need to be repaired or replaced. (However, I've yet to hear of a documented case of this happening, so I think the liklihood of this happening is very small.)

Note: you wouldn't be having any problems at all if Dell wasn't so worried about people finding other sources for AC adapters. There is no rational reason for Dell to have this "feature" implemented in their BIOS.

If your PC is covered under warrantee, contact Dell Service. They should fix it for you, if you are able to convince them that 1) The battery is OK, 2) There's nothing wrong with the BIOS, and 3) Your laptop is expecting a message from the AC adapter that it just isn't receiving.

You might be told that you need to send in your laptop to have its motherboard repaired/replaced. Don't do that until they have swapped out your AC adapter, or somehow determined that the adapter's brain is in working order.

If your Dell is not under warrantee, you might want to check out some alternative (less expensive) sources of genuine Dell components. See my previous post.

September 12th, 2005 11:00

I realized that my previous posting wasn't of much help to you, since you were already aware of what the problem is.

If your Inspiron 8600 is like my 8500, then it should let you upgrade your BIOS if you install a battery that is sufficiently charged - I think 25% charge might be the minimum. Of course, since your Inspiron won't let you charge your batteries, it is likely that you don't have a battery with >25% charge. So you will need to find someone with a charged battery, or a working Dell AC adapter that you can use to charge your batteries.

Please let me know if you become aware of a BIOS upgrade that will let you turn off the AC adapter checking. I am not aware that it is possible with existing BIOS versions.

Best Regards

18 Posts

September 13th, 2005 22:00

I am having  issues with my power adapter.  It does not aways power up the computer when the battery is attached.   I have to unplug and replug the adapter until it powers up the computer.   The computer works fine when the battery is useds without the adapter and also when I pull the battery out and use just adapter.    Dell sent me a new cord under warranty . ..did not fix the problem.  They wanted me to update my Bios. Now  Dell wants me to return the computer to change out the motherboard-OUCH!   I'm under warranty, but their email made it sound like I was finiancially responsible for the repair.  My local computer guy looked at it and thinks it is a cord vs. battery problem, but Dell insists the 2 I have are compatible.  The local guy isn't buying into the new motherboard and neither am I.  Help!  Justlooking for happy ending solutions and hoping to avoid a trashed notebook.  Am in the market for some more computers for my business down the road, so hoping Dell makes good with me and doesn't act like I am crazy!

September 15th, 2005 16:00

I was still under warranty and they sent me a new AC adapter. Evidently the one originally sent was not the correct adapter.

With the new adapter it works correctly again.

2 Posts

I had this problem earlier this month and went ahead and ordered another adapter because I thought the computer had been hit by a lightening (bad weather in our area), so this is very enlightening.  Now here's my additional problem:  I received the new adapter from Dell and it still isn't charging my battery.  The rep now states that I need to purchase a new battery.  Any ideas as to whether or not I truly need a new battery?

Still in the dark...

2 Posts

I had this problem earlier this month and went ahead and ordered another adapter because I thought the computer had been hit by a lightening (bad weather in our area), so this is very enlightening.  Now here's my additional problem:  I received the new adapter from Dell and it still isn't charging my battery.  The rep now states that I need to purchase a new battery.  Any ideas as to whether or not I truly need a new battery?

Still in the dark...

No Events found!