Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

13 Posts

October 25th, 2006 00:00

PCMCIA Card reader works with one SD card but not the other - what gives? (C610, Windoze XP Pro)

I have a Latitude C610 which I've been very, very happy with.  I'm running Windoze XP Pro.  I have a non-branded
memory card reader.  It plugs into one of the PCMCIA slots, and then you stick memory cards into the outer end.

When I plug just the card reader in, nothing happens.  When I plug in my 512mb SD card, Windoze automatically
opens up a Windows Explorer window where I can decide what to do with the information on the card.  (I'm usually copying photos off from a camera) 

When I want to take the memory card out, I click on the "safely remove hardware" icon and the device is called "PCMCIA IDE/ATAPI Controller".  I tell it to stop, and then I can take out the memory card, leaving the card reader in the computer.

I just picked up a Kingston 2gb SD card.  When I plug it into the card reader, it works.. partly:  I can't access the card with windows explorer (which is what I want to do) but it's partly seeing the device because the "PCMCIA IDE/ATAPI Controller" shows up, which it does not do if there is no card installed.

How can I get the computer to see the 2gb sd card just like it sees the 512 mb card?

Thanks for any ideas!  Y'all rock.

tabe
PS If I've confused you let me know and I will try to explain better.

No Responses!
No Events found!