Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 27th, 2013 11:00

Mouse pointer changes shape and starts scrolling automatically

Hi, I have an annoying problem.

Sometimes my cursor changes into a shape that's not in the list of possible mouse pointers and I can't print screen it, because it's not in the image when I search it..

It looks like this: 2small white triangles with a white line in between. Sometimes they point left and right, and my pc starts scrolling sideways, and sometimes they point up and down and it starts scrolling downwards.

I updated a lot of drivers and restarted my pc. I scanned for virusses, but nothing could be found.

It happens with or without a mouse inserted. It's really annoying, because surfing on the internet becomes frustrating.

O yeah, that pc doctor from the dell site did not find anything either.

It's a relatively new inspiron laptop (less than a year) and I have this problem since the beginning.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Thanks in advance

1 Message

August 3rd, 2014 14:00

besides the insulting replies you got here from Dell support - like reinstall  bios/ windows/whatever - you might have changed your original power source. As Apple does, Dell does not allow you to use something like that. For me, the easiest thing to fix it was to turn off my touchpad. I hate it anyway so besides that you will have no issues using a different power source, if you have a mouse available. otherwise, just disconnect the charger.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 27th, 2013 12:00

Hi thomasvd1,

I see that you have updated drivers on the system but I am not sure if that includes BIOS and Touchpad that needs to be updated in a sequence for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the Operating system, then download the BIOS driver from BIOS section and touchpad driver from Input section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/ZaQuel

Please let me know if this helps

6 Posts

May 27th, 2013 13:00

Hi sir,

yes I did. I just doublechecked and both times it said that the same version already was installed.

(I already restarded my laptop afterwards aswell).

Thank you for your fast reply.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 28th, 2013 23:00

Hi thomasvd1,

I would like to know have you re-installed the touchpad driver to check for issue resolution.

6 Posts

May 29th, 2013 06:00

I downloaded and installed it. The second time I checked, it said that the driver was already installed.

I'm not sure if that's what you mean by 'reinstalling to check for issue resolution'.

Greetings

6 Posts

May 29th, 2013 14:00

Really hope you can help me with this one.

It's getting worse and worse. Sometimes it starts zooming in/out lately without me doing anything except moving the cursor.

And exams are coming up, so reading things without having to worry about what my mousepointer is going to do next should help me pass.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 30th, 2013 16:00

Hi thomasvd1,

Assuming you are using Windows 7, please use the system in safe mode and let us know how it works. To go to ‘Safe Mode’ restart the system and at the Dell logo tap the F8 key every two seconds. In the ‘Advanced Boot options’ window using arrow keys,  select ‘Safe Mode’ and hit enter.

Also, perform system restore by following the steps below and check for issue resolution.

1. Open System Restore by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button.
  2. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore. (Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.)
  3. In the wizard choose a restore point and restore your computer to an earlier point when the touchpad was working correctly.

If you are using different operating system let me know.

6 Posts

June 4th, 2013 10:00

The cursor seemed to work properly in safe mode. However the problems have not occured as regularly as they used to in general the last week.

I don't have a restore point that's even close to a point where there weren't any problems, because that mouse problem happend once in a while for as long as I can remember. (Even the first day since I had my laptop)

Once in a while it just acts strange. Zooming in/out, scrolling left, right, up / under without me doing anything in perticular.

Greetings,

1 Message

March 26th, 2014 15:00

So this issue has been haunting me for several years, but it is intermittent so I have been able to ignore it most of the time.  The past 24 hours it has been terrible, with my screen scrolling up, down, left, and right every few minutes.  I cannot get any work done.  I finally took the time to research the issue and try a few things, and I think I have found a solution.  When I went into the Dell touchpad app (under Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Mouse, click the link to the Dell touchpad settings) and made a few changes the issue went away.  Here is what I changed:

• turned off the pointstick (which my laptop does not have)
  • turned on the scroll and zoom option for the touchpad

I hope this helps others with this issue, good luck! 

November 3rd, 2014 04:00

Hi, I am using the below product Dell Inspiron 15 (N5010, Early 2010)

This is to inform that I am using PS/2 port to USB port convertor. I am trying to connect both mouse and keyboard (PS / 2 port) in that only keyboard is working fine.

Issue is mouse scroller functions automatically. Without end-users functionality the scroller moves up and down automatically and mouse movement is not functions properly. Please assist me in this regards by providing your solution for this issue.

6 Posts

November 3rd, 2014 05:00

My solution was to reinstall the drivers associated with the mousepad etc.

Not sure if that'll work for you, but mine was fixed by reinstalling windows and installing the correct drivers handed to me by Dell employers. 

good luck

No Events found!