Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

4 Posts

May 18th, 2002 00:00

Lost Mouse function in XP

I have a CPx with WIndows XP Pro installed. It's been working fine until the clip holding the CD-ROM in broke. It was replaced and ever since then, my touchpad and pointing stick have not worked. THe buttons don't work either. I've updated the Alps Touchpad driver and have verified that the BIOS shows "TOUCHPAD-PS2". Any ideas?
THanks

May 21st, 2002 14:00

I would recommend running diagnostics on that system to verify the functionality of that hardware. To run the diagnostics, boot the system with the Dell Diagnostics diskette in the floppy drive, select Run Specific Test, and run the pointing device test by highlighting that test and pressing Enter twice. If the test fails, the hardware may be nonfunctional and need to be replaced or repaired.

NOTE: If you have the diagnostic CD instead of diskette(s), go into the system BIOS and set the boot order to CD-ROM first. Then boot with the diagnostic CD in the CD-ROM drive.

4 Posts

May 21st, 2002 14:00

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it out and here's the results:
Test Results

Begin testing: 05/21/2002 10:21:32
Mouse - Mouse Test : User Abort
Device: Mouse Test: Mouse_Test
Release: 1054 Module(s): Mouse
Msg: USER_ABORT The user has requested an abort of the currently executing
test.

End testing: 05/21/2002 10:22:11 - 0 errors

One thing to note, I had to Abort the test because the pointer and buttons wouldn't move. In addition, I had another hard drive with Windows 2000 from another laptop and the mouse worked fine when I booted with that OS.
Any other suggestions?

May 23rd, 2002 15:00

Did you reboot to the diagnostics CD?

Another thing you may need to try is to update the BIOS. You can find the files Dell has validated for your system on our website. From:

http://support.dell.com/filelib

Enter your Service Tag or Express Service Code and follow the prompts to get a listing of the files for your system. The files you are looking for will be listed here as well as other updates that might be of interest. You can also find a variety of tools and information about your system in the Dell Knowledge Center.

Once done, go into the BIOS by pressing F2 as the system is booting, then press Alt-F to restore the defaults, making certain to reset the time and date fields before exiting.

4 Posts

May 23rd, 2002 15:00

To answer your questions and suggestions.
I did reboot to the diagnostics CD. It showed it was booting Win98 so I know it worked since I'm using WinXP Pro.
I just checked the BIOS. I'm already at A12 and didn't see anything in A13 that might help with my situation. Do you think it's really necessary to update the BIOS? Any other ideas? As I've said, this only occurs when no external mice are present. When I'm docked or have a mouse plugged in, it works. Only the touchpad/stick don't work.

4 Posts

May 26th, 2002 21:00

Any other ideas on this? I'm still mouse-less without an external mouse plugged in..
Thanks.

November 4th, 2003 03:00

Exact same problem. Win xp pro, tried diagnosis with same results. I have all the latest software drivers and everything. No response at all from trackstick or touchpad. I have to use my external logitech mouse. HELP!

No Events found!