Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 8th, 2013 10:00

Latitude E5420 headphone/microphone combo jack pinout?

Hi All,

My headset has separate headphone and microphone connectors but my Latitude E5420 came with a single headphone/microphone combo jack. I've read on this forum that adapters like the Headset Buddy should solve the problem, but I haven't been able to source any locally for testing before purchase.

I'm planning to make up my own adapter but haven't been unable to find any Dell documentation on that combo jack, let alone its pinout. Can you guys help me out with that, please?

Much appreciated in advance,

Francois

June 12th, 2013 07:00

Thanks Jim. I also had an online chat with Dell support, as well as email correspondence, even asked for and got feedback from the developers, but still no definitive answer.

Using fly-leads to hook up an open plug to a headset I can confirm the pinout is as given for iPhone here - from tip left, right, ground, microphone on sleeve.

Cheers,

Francois

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 8th, 2013 11:00

Hello Francois. Dell's documentation regarding anything audio is very sparse. The jack is meant to work with a typical Smart Phone headset so if you find wiring for one of those then that is it. I got the idea from someplace that the tip is the mono mic (the combo jack does not support stereo input).

I have a Latitude E5420 also but use an external usb sound card.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 12th, 2013 19:00

Thanks, that information helps and the bit about inserting a resistor for line-in is especially interesting.

I found where I got the idea that the tip is the mic. In post 20 of this thread

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T510-combo-mic-audio-port-usage/td-p/217613/page/2

a person with a Lenovo laptop with a combo jack wrote:

In my T410 the 4-pin Audio pinning is (counted from Tip):

left ear - right ear - Gnd - Mic

So the MIC is on the most far outer end.

That is the same as your finding, but at the time I had only focused on "so the mic is on the most far outer end" which I assumed was the tip and I have been thinking that for at least a year now. I am glad to have it cleared up.

June 13th, 2013 02:00

I'm glad, and you're welcome :emotion-2:

No Events found!