Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

October 17th, 2012 21:00

Keyboard problem - Left 'shift' key doesn't work with 9, o, l keys

I have an Inspiron 17r and the left shift key has all of a sudden stopped working with certain keys.  I can use the right shift keys and they work fine.  I have turned it upside down and blown the keyboard out with compressed air to no avail.  I have used a wireless keyboard and it works fine.  I would appreciate any other suggestions before having to install a new keyboard. 

I am just one month out of warranty :(

Thanks!

3 Posts

October 17th, 2012 22:00

Have similar problem...cldn't find any solution....http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19471446/20207212.aspx#20207212

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

October 17th, 2012 22:00

Hi beliga,

Please disconnect the Ac adapter and remove the battery. Now press and hold the power button for 20-30 seconds. Once again connect the ac adapter and also replace the battery. Now turn on the system and check.

If that does not resolve the issue, I suggest that you update BIOS to the latest version and also the touchpad drivers.

Click on the link given below to flash the bios to the latest version and to update touch pad drivers:

http://dell.to/OIrF69                

Select the model of the system, click on BIOS and install the latest version. Please connect the ac adapter as this step needs uninterrupted power supply. In case you have connected any external devices, disconnect them as well.  Do not use the system till it restarts and comes up to the desktop. 

To install touchpad drivers click on ‘Input’ and download the same. In case, you are finding issue in finding the correct drivers, reply to this post with the model of the system to send the link for the updates.

In case the issue is not resolved after updated the drivers, I suspect the keyboard is faulty and it needs replacement. Since the warranty has expired, please purchase the keyboard.

Thanks and Regards,                                             
Sujatha K
#iworkfordell

3.8K Posts

May 29th, 2013 05:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                  

No Events found!