Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2009 12:00

Keyboard not working

The keyboard on my Inspiron 6000 laptop stopped working. I cannot type into anything even notepad doesn't work. HELP.

9 Posts

June 12th, 2009 15:00

I would open it and see if the keyboard is plugged in. If it is and still not working you can get them cheap off e-bay.

5 Posts

June 12th, 2009 17:00

I am thinking of getting it to a computer shop to check the drive.

141 Posts

You may want to check some simple things first - like making sure the driver is ok.

5 Posts

Is it possible to get unplugged in a laptop ?

141 Posts

June 12th, 2009 21:00

If you mean the driver, it's easy to check.  If you're Windows XP, right click your "My Computer" icon, then open the "Hardware" tab. Then click on "Device Manager". Do you see any prominent yellow question marks, especially by "Keyboard"?  If not, the driver is probably ok. 

5 Posts

June 13th, 2009 08:00

I checked the drive and the only yellow question mark was by the video codex. I fixed that and it never did anything for my ability to type.

What I do have is a new problem this morning and what happens is if you click the icon to open Internet explorer all the icons open up. I think I have a major problem. My anti-virus software ( CA anti-virus) found a virus yesterday  named Win32-Fake Alert. The anti-virus software deleted the virus, but I may still have remenates of it on that computer. So, I think I have to take it someplace.

5 Posts

June 14th, 2009 07:00

Thanks for all the detailed help. I will try those steps and see how far I get. I only wish that these people who sit around all day and destroy other people's computers would use their talent for the good. I guess that's a dream. Thanks again.:emotion-21:

141 Posts

June 14th, 2009 07:00

Yes, it seems like this is a virus problem. Makes sense now. Viruses can mess up all kinds of things, and from what I've seen lately, they can block all means of eliminating themselves. For instance, a seemingly simple step would be to hit "Run" in your start menu and type "mrt" - for Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, and let it run,  but if it won't let you type anything....   I've also had them disable the drivers for both CD/DVD players, plus the network driver, so I couldn't re-install the driver, download anyfix, or even re-install XP.

Can you do a system restore? It won't require typing, but the virus may prevent that, too.  If that doesn't work, try posting this problem on the Virus/Spyware board. There are several ways of fighting this, but if the virus has truly been removed, then you are just dealing with the changes it made to your system. If your personnel data is backed up so you won't lose it, formatting the HD and reinstalling the operating system is a last resort option.

No Events found!