Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2017 10:00

Keyboard Locks when it shouldn't

This is infuriating so please excuse me if this post is crude in tone:

Computer:  Dell Inspiron 15, 7000 Series

A month ago I started seeing my laptop was locking its keyboard and trackpad without me asking. I diagnosed the problem as the laptop going into tablet mode without my asking, so I went into the keyboard settings and adjusted the keyboard lock to "Never lock keyboard and touchpad." (By the way that option took WAY too long to find, and that issue took way too long to diagnose. I ended up wiping the computer thinking there was a driver issue. Consult your UX person about how terrible the signaling is (or fire her if she thought it was a good idea to lock the keyboard without my input and not provide an easy way to undo it)).

That keyboard setting solved my problem until last night....

A Dell update went through last night and I came back this morning to see my keyboard and touchpad are once again locked. I went into the keyboard settings and the "Never lock keyboard and touchpad" radio button is still checked! When I pick up the laptop, it undoes the lock. This unlocked the keyboard temporarily, but the laptop has a mind of its own and just re-locks the keyboard when it feels like it.

To be clear, this is what happens:

• Keyboard locks (indicated by the notification "Autorotate On")
  • I pick the laptop up, and turn it sideways, keyboard unlocks
  • I place it back down, or I plug the power back in, and the keyboard locks ("Autorotate On")
  • Keyboard Lock setting reads "Never lock my keyboard and touchpad"
  • Also, the "Temporarily unlock keyboard and touchpad" button does nothing.

This is what I want to happen:

• I want my keyboard to never lock under any circumstance, ever. It's a laptop and I use it as such. It sits on a table and doesn't move, and it never gets put into tablet configuration unless this problem occurs.

Please assist. PLEASE.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 14th, 2017 15:00

Several if not many diff Inspiron 15 7000 models. Post the exact name and number of yours.

This might be the right one-- www.dell.com/.../how-to-use-and-troubleshoot-the-inspiron-15-7000-2-in-1-series--7568-  

2 Posts

July 17th, 2017 07:00

That's certainly my laptop model, but what should I do to keep this 'autorotate' thing to stop happening?

I see the note on that page about tilting the laptop at 225 degrees, but it says nothing about autorotate, nor does it say anything about the unlocking feature not working.

No Events found!