Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 20th, 2014 09:00

Integrated webcam not working with windows 7 on XPS L702

Looking at device manager there is no "imaging devices".  Looking online suggests windows should have the driver and automatically install it, so there doesn't appear to be a way to manually install the driver.

I tried booting a linux live cd and that successfully found the webcam, so the webcam is definetely working.

Reinstalling Dell Webcam central has no affect.  Note that the camera used to work and I haven't reinstalled the operating system since, lots of windows updates though.

Jon

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 22nd, 2014 07:00

Jon,

Make a system restore point.

Start, control panel, device manager, Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Uninstall all the USB Root hubs, then restart the computer. When you login, the new hardware wizard will reinstall everything. Please be patient.

Now see if the webcam ia working.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 20th, 2014 15:00

Jon,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers and Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

(Windows 8)How to make the webcam work with help from this youtube. You have to open the Camera app first, and then click Settings on the charm bar to see where you can give the app permission to use the webcam.

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central.

Create a new unrestricted user account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If yes, log out and log back in to your account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

Rick

November 21st, 2014 01:00

Hi Rick,

I searched the forum before posting so saw this boilerplate response several times.  If you read my post I answer pretty much all your points, lets take a look:

>>Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system?

"Note that the camera used to work and I haven't reinstalled the operating system since"

>>Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers

"Looking online suggests windows should have the driver and automatically install it"

>>You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central.

"Reinstalling Dell Webcam central has no affect."

>>If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

"I tried booting a linux live cd and that successfully found the webcam, so the webcam is definetely working."

>>Create a new unrestricted user account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

I am an administrator on my machine, I'll try turning off UAC but doubt that is the problem at all.

It would be better to put this info in a FAQ, by replying to my message you will probably put off other people who will consider this an answer.

Jon

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 21st, 2014 08:00

Jon,

The webcam sometimes comes loose from the plug, see video below

[View:www.youtube.com/watch]

Since the webcam is at the top of the screen, gently remove the bezel.

Remove the two Phillips screws from the top of the screen.

Unplug the webcam. Then plug the webcam back in.

Put the phillips screws back in and attach the bezel.

Rick

November 21st, 2014 11:00

Maybe it's not clear in my first post but when I booted into linux it recognised the camera and worked - i.e. I could see myself.  So there is 0% chance of the camera being loose/broken - it literally just worked, just not in windows.

The problem is entirely due to windows not recognising the device - i.e. not showing up in the device manager list.

Jon

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 21st, 2014 12:00

Jon,

If you recently installed/reinstalled/upgraded the operating system, the order of installation is bery important. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers and Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

(Windows 8)How to make the webcam work with help from this youtube. You have to open the Camera app first, and then click Settings on the charm bar to see where you can give the app permission to use the webcam.

Rick

November 23rd, 2014 02:00

Thanks this fixed it!  I didn't realise the integrated camera was a usb device.

Jon

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2014 08:00

Jon,

Glad you got it working! Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!