Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

2 Posts

September 19th, 2007 13:00

Inspiron 710M battery

Hi,
Just a month beyond the warranty and my battery does not last for more than 10 minutes and AC adapter has stopped working. Calling tech support was futile as the office is closed. ( I do not know why it is closed on Wednesday). I am extremely disappointed. Can anybody help with this issue? 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 19th, 2007 14:00

If the system is more than 12 months old, you'll need to call Sales for a battery, not support - the battery needs to be replaced with a new one.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 19th, 2007 22:00

If it's to be a notebook, you do know that the manufacturer of the Apple MacBook Pros is the same manufacturer of many of Dell's notebooks, right? In fact, they're the largest maker of notebooks in the world.

14 Posts

September 19th, 2007 22:00

I know. No Dell notebook over a year and a half old has any battery power to speak of except by the hand of God...It's Dell's little scam. Notebook batteries are pre-programed to die automatically after a year regardless of how much you actually use them. :) This is why my next computer will be a Mac.

14 Posts

September 20th, 2007 20:00

I find it very interesting that my last post here was deleted...so I'll post again...:)

Like I said before, Dells are excellent machines. It's only the scuzzy company politics behind it that turns me away.

A -MAC- made by the same manufacturer that makes Dells, but without the corporate scams..? Absolutely, yes. I'd love a stable, non-scammy, Mac version of a Dell!

Message Edited by Toraigan on 09-20-2007 09:30 PM

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 20th, 2007 21:00

Ah, I see - the shining example of a company that lops $200 off a product less than two months after it releases it, and then offers a $100 merchandise credit when too many people complain?

14 Posts

September 20th, 2007 22:00

What, the Ipod? Ipods and computers are two VERY different things. Don't even try to compare an accessory to a necessity.

Yet even given the fact that it IS a pleasure product, they still owned up to it and paid their customers back. It shows they care about the consumer. It's called keeping your audience. Amazing act in today's world, no? At least Mac HAS sheen at all..

Message Edited by Toraigan on 09-20-2007 09:30 PM

2 Posts

Hi,

Although I did not get the replacement I was expecting, I got a satisfactory resopnse from Dell.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

No, I wasn't referring to the ipod - I was referring to the iPhone. Most people would put cell phones into the same category as notebooks - necessities, not luxuries.

And beyond the price treatment, how about Apple's designing the iPhone such that you CANNOT replace the battery without sending it back to Apple for repair? No one gets it all right or all wrong, all the time.

14 Posts

September 21st, 2007 01:00

@ b1234b -I apologize for hijacking your board. However, this is an on-going problem that Dell needs to clean up. I'm glad you got your problem resolved for the time being. Dell has immaculate customer service...at a price. I would mark my calender and be ready to dish out however much Dell decides their batteries are worth a year from now. It is going to die.

@ Forum Admin dude -(I-phone = accessory, not pure cell phone. A cell phone is something that comes free with a plan...you don't need all the extra stuff that's on that expensive thing; that's what LAPTOPS are for..)

No one gets it all right, but they can certainly fix things when they find out theat they are wrong -something Dell seems to be refusing to do.

Now stop trying to focus the attention on the other company and put up a good defense. My only possible speculation is that you don't have one.

If, however, that's not true, then go ahead and tell me in all honesty that Dell does not modify/ manufacture its notebook batteries to intentionally stop working after a time, regardless of how many times they are actually used. Answer me on that exact issue.

Message Edited by Toraigan on 09-20-2007 09:47 PM

160 Posts

September 21st, 2007 17:00

Toraigan,

It's a pretty safe bet to say that you've had a problem with an out of warranty battery, for that I apologize. It's not our intention to upset you, and we stand behind the products that we sell, but to make an unfounded blanket accusation about Dell intentionally making batteries fail is not going to help anyone. Not only is it not true, it turns other readers and users of this forum off to your suggestions and comments. This forum is here to help users find solutions, not pass on hearsay and gossip. Our equipment is tested by a number of 3rd party (consumer and business run) agencies, any of which would be quick to point out if something like this were happening.

If you ask any notebook technician how long a battery will last they will tell you "between 1 to 3 years depending on..." and would then proceed to bombard you with a drawn-out 30 minute explanation about all of the factors that go into battery life and the research and development that's gone into power management for computers systems over the past 2 decades. Ask an engineer and that 30 minutes can easily turn in to 3 hours. The bottom line is that no one can tell you when your battery will fail, but we can tell you that if it fails within a year, something is wrong and we'll replace it.

As for your question to ejn63 about Dell modifying our batteries, I'll go ahead and field that one for you. Yes, Dell modifies its batteries... with a safety feature that trips when the battery fails. This is to prevent damage to the system and, more importantly, the user. This is no secret. Other then this, the batteries are industry standard.

Some tips for extending overall battery life:

-Try not to overcharge the battery too often. Once charged, the battery will trickle off excess energy from the AC adapter. Li-Ion batteries are designed to do this, but it will degrade cell structure over time.

-Don't let the battery fully drain before recharging. (Only do a full drain and recharge ~every 30 charge cycles or so) It's best to use about 1/3 to 1/2 of the battery power and then recharge if possible.

-When the battery is fully charged, remove it from the system if it's going to be plugged into the AC adapter for more then a day or two. These batteries can hold a charge for weeks or even months outside of the notebook.

-The cooler batteries are (temperature wise, not social status), the longer they last.

-Clean off the contacts on the battery every so often, if needed. (use the eraser from a pencil)

Mike

14 Posts

September 27th, 2007 20:00

I remain un-convinced. In fact, I believe THAT is a full-fledged lie.

It's curious how ALL Dell batteries die at almost the exact same time -usually suddenly and inexplicably within weeks of expiration of their non-extendable warranties.

A battery shouldn't fail if it is never used. Now granted I understand that batteries leak energy in small amounts throughout their shelf life. But not -THAT- much. I have a pair of Duracells sitting in my CD player that have lasted longer than my Dell battery. And I use the CD player about as much if not more than I used my Dell battery..

And what of the people that use their batteries and experience that their battery will literally hold a full charge one day and jack-nothing the next day..?

Again, MOST of this happening all within the first month or so after the warranty expires...

DO send me one of those battery lectures. I'd love to hear a technical explanation for your obvious scam. Until you can provide a feasible alibi, I WILL continue to answer all the plethoras of battery questions on this forum with what I myself hold to be true.

Message Edited by Toraigan on 09-27-2007 04:35 PM

160 Posts

September 28th, 2007 11:00

Toraigan,

Your belief is your belief and I'll respect that, I was simply trying to pass on the fact that if you have actual technical fact or reasoning behind it your argument may hold more merit for those who are seeking an actual solution or answer instead of a candid conspiracy theory. You feel free to pass on whatever information you feel our customers should know, just remember to keep within the  TOS and we'll have no issues. I appreciate your opinion and contribution to this forum. I not only welcome your feedback to our customers, I encourage it. Welcome to DCF!

Mike

Message Edited by DELL-Michael B on 09-28-2007 07:44 AM

14 Posts

September 29th, 2007 02:00

I've had plenty of reasoning behind my arguments, if you will observe..

At any rate, I find it pretty sickening that you're treating this as merely "feedback" when you know darn well that you get the exact same "feedback" in droves every day.

I'm not entirely sure how to take your willingness to let me speak my mind -is it that you truly welcome my input to other users, or is it that you simply can't answer the question I presented you with in exchange for my pessimism..?

I find it curious that you won't defend yourself anymore. Seriously. I welcome ANY fesable explaination you have as to Dell's seemingly-evident money laundering. Be it a 200 page technical explaination. I'd take the time to read it.
No Events found!