Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2009 06:00

Inspiron 1525 motherboard problem

Bought this laptop a year ago, and have had to replace the motherboard twice.  Computer worked fine for the first 6 months except the date and time had to be reset constantly.  One day we turned it on and got a message "time of day clock stopped".  Dell replaced the motherboard and all was well for a few months.  Then it happened again.  Dell replaced the motherboard again.  Then a month later and it happened again.  Warranty is over, and it doesn't seem to make sense to pay to fix this.  Any recourse with Dell?  If we replace the laptop, which is probably our only feasible option, how do we get what's on the old computer's hard drive onto the new laptop (which will almost certainly not be the same model)?   Thank you. 

1.6K Posts

February 28th, 2009 07:00

You can install the drive from the faulty notebook in a 2.5" USB SATA case and attach it to a new system to copy your data - programs however would have to be reloaded from the original media.

If you repalce the system, consider seriously a 3-year minimum warranty on anything you buy.

1 Message

October 10th, 2012 12:00

I got a problem almost like most people suddenly my laptop when i open it begins loading in inspiron it stops in its place and freezes and suddenly pops black screen and on top writing  (Time-of-day clock stopped) so is their any other way to solve this problem please dell i repaired this laptop twice before paying money why when we can do please reply and help me with out damaging a single thing on my laptop

Thank you for understanding.

1.8K Posts

October 10th, 2012 12:00

Hi,

Most likely it is an issue with the CMOS battery of your computer. CMOS battery is a not a customer replaceable unit. However, if you are comfortable replacing it on your own, you can refer to the link:  http://dell.to/TgYh2l

This will have detailed steps and instructions on how to replace CMOS battery. I am adding you as a friend; please accept my friend request and send me a private message with the system Service Tag so that I can check the system warranty details and help you further.

Please reply with the information.

3 Posts

April 20th, 2015 19:00

Can I upgrade my laptop 1525 inspiron's motherboard with a better one ? 

my purpouse is to upgrade it`s video card so i want a mobo with a dedicated video card.

It is possbile ?

No Events found!