Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 21st, 2015 18:00

I'm new dell laptop, please help keyboard functions

I have a new dell laptop an inspiron 14 3000 series, now I'm wondering what are the function key do, I'm still new to it please help. Thank you :emotion-15:

3 Posts

February 21st, 2015 21:00

Cecu, If you compare a laptop keyboard to a desktop keyboard, there are generally fewer keys, often completely leaving out the numeric keypad on the right side of a desktop keyboard completely.

One extra key Fn is added, and most of the function key row (F1 to F12) and some of the alpha keys, the number keys, and the cursor keys will have extra legends on them, generally in a different colour matching the legend on the Fn key.

If you hold the Fn key down while while pressing tone of these keys, the key will do  the function printed on the key with the alternate colour. In addition to replacing the numeric keypad, the functions can include adjusting screen brightness, audio volume, switching between Laptop monitor and an external monitor (if connected), entering sleep mode aand other functions. Refer to the documentation that came with your system, or down load the user guide from the Dell site to find out exactly what each function is, as they vary brand to brand and model to model.

I hope this helps.

3 Posts

February 24th, 2015 15:00

Hello Cecu,

My original reply was a general reply as it seemed that you were new to laptops. I have a number of Dell laptops all from around 2007 with US keyboard layout.  All of mine have a moon symbol as the Fn F1 legend. It is used to force the machine to go to sleep (rest in a very low power usage state) ready to wake up for normal use when required.

If your machine has a padlock symbol, I guess that it would 'Lock" the system, which should blank the screen and prevent keyboard and mouse use. Usefull if you are working on confidential material and someone visits enexpectedly or you need a short toilet break. To regain control you enter something at the keyboard or move the mouse, and the computer will ask for a password, with the rest of the screen blanked. for privacy. Once you enter the password, you get full access to the machine.

Again, because I am not familiar with your model, I suggest you refer to the manuals that came with the machine or download them from Dell, as they are generally very informative for machine specific information.

Mal

2 Posts

February 24th, 2015 05:00

Hi boldmal thanks it really helps, but I was wondering what does the fn key with the lock under the f1 do?

No Events found!