Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2015 18:00

How do I fix my Dell laptop that stops typing when the Caps Lock button is hit?

I have a Dell laptop with an Inspiron system type. When I type, I accidentally hit the Caps Lock button, and then the keyboard stops working and the Caps Lock button starts to blink. I have to restart/turn off my computer completely to fix this problem, and most of what I'd been working on isn't saved and I have to type it all over again. I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and what to do about it? If you have any suggestions, I'd be open to them. I'm in college and need to send in papers all the time; I can't have to continuously deal with this problem. Thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 30th, 2015 22:00

Hi,

I would suggest you to bring up the On Screen Keyboard (OSK) and try using it to check if issue reoccurs to isolate if the issue is related to hardware or software.  

Also, please connect an external USB keyboard to the system and check if it works.

In addition I would suggest you to try flashing the BIOS on the system. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the operating system, and then download the BIOS from the BIOS section onto the system and install it.

Please let me know if this helps.

No Events found!