Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

7 Posts

November 26th, 2008 12:00

Help! Latitude D830, NONE of the sound card drivers work!!!!!!

I am ready to never touch a Dell again... This is the last resort. Aside from uninformative driver downloads and a way of displaying the drivers one would need alltogether, if the forums do not resolve my problem, GG Dell.

Ok had to get that bit of frustration out... onto the situation at hand.

Laptop: Latitude D830

Problem: ? Other Devices ?

Data Interface

Data Interface

Ethernet Controller

PCI Device

These are the things that apparently have no drivers available for download on dell's website??   My biggest problem is sound... I am going to assume that 'PCI Device' is the sound card, however I assumed prior that it was integrated therefore would not be PCI. I have tried every single sound card driver that = Latitude D830/ Windows XP 32bit.  Every time I try to install the driver, it fails and says that the system is incorrect etc.

I have changed BIOS, etc. This is a very very very very very very very very very frustrating problem to have because there seems to be no one else with this problem, and If there is someone then I have not been able to find a thread on it.  Please help me before I go insane.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 22nd, 2014 04:00

I was wondering do you know of sound drivers that acknowledge the sound card for the d830 with win 7

The D830 has Sigmatel audio hardware. The company went out of business before Win 7 but you can install the Sigmatel Vista version R171788 in compatibility mode.

Download driver package and extract the files (unzip or unpack and make a note of the name of the folder that is created) but cancel the installation process. Go to the folder on the hard drive to which you unpacked the driver files
c:\Dell\Drivers\Rxxxxxx 

Find the setup.exe file and right click on it. Select the Properties. Find the compatibility tab and select Vista.

7 Posts

If I branch out Sound, Video and game controllers here is what it reads:

Audio Codecs

Legacy Audio Drivers

Legacy Video Capture Devices

Media Control Devices

Video Codecs

I did reinstall windows, perhaps I installed the drivers in the wrong order, maybe I should uninstall all the drivers I have and reinstall them in a specific order.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

if you have any "?" in the Device Manager, it could be more than sound. If you have reloaded Windows, specific drivers go in a specific order

if you branch out 'Sound, Video, and game controllers' under Device Manager, what are the installed items and are there any bangs? Have you tested with external speakers yet? Have you run the built in hardware tests yet? (from a power off state press the blue fN key and power at the same time and the PSA runs, giving you a diag of hardware)

If yours has integrated and not a card for video, PCI Device is your video, the Mobile Intel 965 driver

If it is the soldered on card (Nvidia Quadro) it will be that driver. If you do not know for sure, you can use the support page to look at your original shipping configuration

Ethernet Controller is the Broadcom 57XX

Also, a good idea just for being complete is to install/ reinstall the Desktop System Software, reboot, then the Chipset software (Usually listed as Mobile Chipset or SMBUS controller) and reboot.

'Data Interface' sounds like a third party device plugged in or attached as none of the D830 drivers display that as a description in device manager for a pre-driver hardware state. If you have a third party Sprint or VZW/ Verizon Mobile Broadband card, this is what causes that dual bang in Device Manager

7 Posts

November 26th, 2008 14:00

STILL CAN NOT INSTALL ANY OF THE WORTHLESS DRIVERS DELL OFFERS....

7 Posts

November 26th, 2008 16:00

okay here is exactly what happens when I try to install the driver that is supposed to be used for my computer...

DRIVER:Audio SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio Driver

Packed as: R171789

I run it, it unzips successfully.

I click okay.

It begins to install...

I click 'Next'

It tries to update the Audio Hardware Configuration.

--For some reason it opens up the R171789 again, I close it..

Then the setup closes.

I run it again...

It gets to where it opens the R171789 again, so this time I unpack it (again)

Then it says: An error occured wile unzipping. One or more files were not successfully unzipped. The error code is 40.

I will reboot and post more on this page...

OK, LOL   so I rebooted, when windows loaded it automatically started to install the driver, and then it got to the infamous 'config' stage mentioned above, and this time it failed...

Fail message:  ExitError:Error=This system does not support the driver you are trying to install.

PLEASE DEAR GOD HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!  this makes no sence, either Dell is worthless or I have done something majorly wrong.   Could installing the drivers in an improper order have everything to do with it???  It seems like it is not even detecting a sound device to install a driver for.  This makes no sense.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2008 07:00

Try microsoft KB kb835221, just search microsoft.com. It will have you fill out a form to request a hot fix. It worked for me.

7 Posts

December 2nd, 2008 20:00

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!   Thank you so much!    Sound the Alarm!!! this needs to be posted somewhere on this site.

1 Message

March 31st, 2010 08:00

Try the below:

Data Interface - R159896 - Dell mobile Broadband card untility

Data Interface - R159896 - Dell mobile Broadband card untility

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

audio: Sigmatel stac 92xx c-major HD Audio - downloaded from Dell website 

ethernet controller:

1394 Net Adaptor

Broadcom netXtreme 57xx Gigabit controller

Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

1 Message

June 21st, 2014 23:00

I was wondering do you know of sound drivers that acknowledge the sound card for the d830 with win 7 I have sound but I cant play music threw the sound card as there is no icon in the recording devices

2 Posts

August 21st, 2015 08:00

I know this is an old thread but i have the same laptop and my sound works but the only problem i have is that for some reason Windows refuses to use the headset microphone and uses the built in microphone instead. I tried your suggestion with compatibility settings install but i get an error: device object not present.

I'm using windows 10.

2 Posts

August 21st, 2015 08:00

Follow up: the previous post of JIMCO on june 22nd worked for me, i had to restart after selecting compatibility mode. After that i could install the driver in windows 10 and i could select my headset microphone (was not visible before in the windows sound recording pane). :emotion-2:

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 28th, 2015 05:00

Hello dspaan. Thanks for the feedback!

No Events found!