Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 14th, 2013 09:00

Headphones are detected but no sound.

I am having a Inspiron 15 R SE 7520

When i insert headphones/earphones/external speakers, they are detected by the laptop and the jack is shown as occupied but i dont hear any sound.

I uninstalled the audio drivers and re-installed it but the problem still remains.

The speakers work fine but the headphones dont work at all.

please help

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 14th, 2013 10:00

Hi Parth Malhotra,

Please follow the below mentioned steps to set the Headphone as the default device:

1. Open Control Panel and select Sound.
  2. When the Sound dialog appears click the Playback tab.
  3. Verify if the Headphone is listed and the right sound card listed under playback devices.
  4. If so, right click the Headphone device and click on default playback device.
  5. If they are not listed, Right click on the blank space and click on show disabled device.
  6. If the Headphone gets listed,
  7. Right click the “Headphone” select “Enable”. Right click the “Headphone” again and select “Set as default device” from the same list.
  8. Click “Ok”. Now remove and reconnect the Headphone and check.

Need further assistance? Use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away. 

DellRamanS_0-1648150765583.png

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 12th, 2014 09:00

my  laptop model is DELL INSPIRON N5520

... m using realteck sound driver ...

Hello. I'm pretty sure there is no Inspiron N5520 model. There is an Inspiron 15R 5520 model, but it uses a Conexant audio driver not Realtek, so I am unsure of which model you have. There is an Inspiron 15R N5110 that uses Realtek.

One thing you can do is to switch your Realtek audio driver to the Windows native audio driver and see if headphones work. If they still do not work even with the native driver then probably a hardware failure.

1. Open the Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in the search box and hit Enter).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the Realtek driver,  do it again but reverse the names in steps 1 and 6.]

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

I followed the steps mentioned by you but 'Headphone' is not listed under playback devices in the playback tab

That is normal. You are not supposed to have to select "headphones" every time you want to listen to headphones.

If you have re-installed your audio driver and the problem remains then it is a hardware problem, except there is one configuration that can shut down audio to the headphones. That is when Headphones are selected to be the default Communication device. If you see anything like that on the Playback tab you should disable it.

I followed the steps mentioned by you but 'Headphone' is not listed under playback devices in the playback tab even when i click on show disabled devices

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 15th, 2013 10:00

Hi Parth Malhotra,

Run the Windows Audio Playback Diagnose and Repair from the below MS FIX-IT.
MS Fix it: http://bit.ly/JvQScV

Check the Audio Jacks, Speakers and audio cables for damage. Test the audio output port through a known good head phones or external speakers.

Please post the results.

August 15th, 2013 13:00

Thank you for your advice but the windows fixit centre is not available for windows 8

Please suggest some other diagnostic tool.

And i tried different earphones and speakers too but i am not getting any sound.

Though whenever i insert a earphone/speaker in the jack the maxx audio pop up shows up asking for what kind of device i inserted in the jack.

That means the jack is working and device is detected when i insert earphone but i am getting no sound.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 18th, 2013 08:00

Hi Parth Malhotra,

Please uninstall and reinstall the Audio drivers, please follow the below mentioned steps:

1) Open Charms search box and type ”Device Manager” and select “Device Manager”.

2) In the “Device Manager” window, double click “Sound, video and controllers”.

3) Right click “sound device", click "Uninstall", and ensure to check the box “Delete driver software for this device”.

4) Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation and restart the computer.

5) Click this link: http://dell.to/14r6c3D, and select “Download file”.

6) Follow the onscreen instructions and complete the installation and check the sound by connecting the Headphones.

Please reply for any further help.

11 Posts

February 9th, 2014 16:00

I would like to know why is the headphone disappear from the list?  I was able to use the head phone for window 8? Now i am curious why?

it made me wonder.  

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 11th, 2014 05:00

I would like to know why is the headphone disappear from the list?  I was able to use the head phone for window 8? Now i am curious why?

it made me wonder. 

Do you mean the list of playback devices on the Playback tab of the Sound properties? What appears in the list depends to an extent on the audio driver. If you are using a different driver now than the one you had before, that could be the reason that the list is different.

Unless you have a usb headphones, normally you will only see "Speakers". Open the Playback tab of the Sound properties and right click on the blank white area. Select to show disconnected devices and disabled devices. If there is still no Headphones that means that the driver uses "Speakers" for both headphones and speakers.

You could also try the native Windows audio driver. Some versions of it show Headphones as a separate device.

11 Posts

February 11th, 2014 06:00

Yes . On the playback list used showing on headphones list and now it's disappeared. I missed using headphone on my laptop. I liked my privacy when I'm using to makes call on. Can you help me?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 11th, 2014 07:00

I missed using headphone on my laptop.

Do you mean the headphones no longer work? When you plug your headphones into the jack, they should work.

On the Playback tab in the list, underneath "Speakers" does it say "Conexant HD audio"?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 11th, 2014 08:00

The person who started this thread had an Inspiron 15R SE 7520. Is that also the model you have?

If you have a different model please tell me the full model name of your laptop. I also need to know which Windows operating system you have.

11 Posts

February 11th, 2014 08:00

Yes no longer work. Headphones was a separated audio. I don't remember the name of the driver.

2 Posts

March 25th, 2014 17:00

Hello,

I am having a problem similar to the ones described on this thread.  I have an Inspiron 15 Notebook (Inspiron 3521).  When I plug the headphones into the computer I get a message saying that I just plugged a device into the audio jack, however, sound comes through the speakers and not through the audio.  This is a new computer and the speakers have never worked.  The computer came with Windows 8 installed and has been upgraded to Windows 8.1.

I would appreciate your help in getting the audio working on my headphones.

Thanks, Adam

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 25th, 2014 18:00

I have an Inspiron 15 Notebook (Inspiron 3521)

Hello. Unlike the other model in this thread, the Inspiron 3521 has Realtek audio hardware. The current Windows 8 audio driver (Realtek 6.0.1.6788 A03) is buggy -- fails to sense headphones. The previous version works okay, Realtek 6.0.1.6690

To install the older driver first remove the current one. Open the Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc into the search box) and expand "Sound, video and game controllers". Right click on the Realtek and select to uninstall. Put a check mark in the option to delete the files, and then ok. When you reboot, Windows will either install its own native driver or another Realtek driver if there were any other versions on the hard drive. So go back to the Device Manager and check for a Realtek driver. Keep uninstalling & rebooting until Realtek no longer appears under Sound Controllers. When you see "High Definition Audio Device" (the native Windows driver) in place of "Realtek", download and install the older Realtek 6.0.1.6690 driver.

The above drivers are for Windows 8. For Windows 8.1, the Realtek driver is not known to me to have the same bug as the 8 driver. I suggest you reinstall the Windows 8.1 Realtel driver 6.0.1.7023. If you still have the same problem then follow the directions in the previous paragraph to install the native Windows driver (High Definition Audio Device) and try that. If you have the same symptoms with both the Realtek and the native driver then you could have a hardware failure.

No Events found!