Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 25th, 2013 11:00

Hard drive not detected

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545.  The hard drive is failing.  I purchased a new hard drive from Dell last week.  Installed it but keep getting an error stating no hard drive found try resetting the drive.  I've reset the drive several times and no luck.  I know the mother board and connectors are fine because the old drvie will still start up.  Do I need to return the new hard drive a get a new one?

1.5K Posts

May 25th, 2013 12:00

Hi Jayhawk Rich,

I would suggest you to run the hardware diagnostics to check for the hardware functionality. You may follow the steps below:

• Reboot and press F12 to enter the Boot Menu
  • When the boot device list appears, highlight Diagnostics and press Enter
  • The computer begins to run the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display
  • In case any hardware component is bad, you will get a corresponding error

You may check in BIOS if HDD is getting detected or not. Please follow the steps below:

• Power on the system and press to enter setup.
  • Go to ‘General’ -> ‘System Information’
  • Check the option next to ‘Primary HDD’

Keep me posted with the findings. I will be glad to assist you.

May 25th, 2013 21:00

Thank you.  This is good information.  However, the hard drive end up being defective.  It will be returned.  I received a new hard drive and installed correctly with no problems.

1.5K Posts

May 28th, 2013 06:00

Hi Jayhawk Rich,

Thank you for keeping me informed. I am happy to know that you found the information helpful. Hope the new HDD will work fine.

Please feel free to reply for any further questions. I will be glad to assist.
No Events found!