Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2009 18:00

Faulty laptop GPU? How can i get it replaced, Can not get in contact with Dell.

I recently emailed Nvidia about a problem i had with my laptop. They directed me to the manufactuer so i will copy paste  my question/his answer and ask for your help!

I have a Geforce 7900GO, Whenever i turn the laptop on there are dashed colored lines obscuring the original picture, as well as a random black screen showing up with several random letter A's with tildes over them. When i finally log onto windows everything is very slower to load pages and usually get dashed blue lines across the page.

When i go to upgrade the drivers to the most recent all i get is a Black screen. I think the GPU has died and i do not know what to do. Dell warranty is over and all i need is to get a new vidoe card to put in because its a replaceable but i do not know where to go to do this.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT

His reply

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care

This is Matiuj and I will be assisting you with your query. I understand from your email that you are looking for the graphics card replacement.

For Laptop computers we have different series of GPU's (Graphics Processing Unit, http://img.technospot.net/nvidia.jpg), please visit the link below to check the laptop GPU's;

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_m_series.html

However, these are chipset's which is used by the laptop manufacturer to design graphics cards or integrate that on the motherboard. Laptop technology is entirely different comparing to desktop computer, with the desktop computer we have common expansion slots i.e. PCI, AGP or PCI-e, http://educations.newegg.com/category/22/buy/image04.jpg where we can install any Add-on graphics card available on computer stores or online stores but with laptop the graphics technology is different, where cards are only design by the laptop manufacturers and only laptop graphics cards can be upgrade if it is not integrated as you have been informed by the laptop manufacturer. To know what kind of graphics card fits inside your laptop model, which means the slot type and compatibility, so its the laptop manufacturer who design and sell graphics cards for those models (If its up-gradable). We cannot get the laptop graphics card outside and no one can recommend you anything apart from the manufacturer as they know what model is compatible with the particular laptop.

I would request you to contact the laptop manufacturer and talk to the senior tech about the graphics card upgrade and I am sure they will help you with this.

Please feel free to contact us, if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Matiuj
NVIDIA Customer Care

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

It would help to know what model system you have, but it's probably an E1705/9400/XPS M170 or M1710.  In that case, here is the card:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-E1705-nVidia-7900-GO-256MB-Video-Card-T238G-DG008_W0QQitemZ390078943127QQcmdZViewItem

It is proprietary, so you will need to get it from Dell or as above, from a used-parts seller. 

If you can't install it yourself, a shop can do it for you for  an hour's labor charge.

6 Posts

E1705....Can i buy it from Dell directly? That card is insanely over priced!! you could almost get another laptop!!

940 Posts

August 12th, 2009 20:00

Do a search on Ebay using "dell e1705 video" for your search, I found them starting at $199 up to about $300.  You can also try http://www.parts-people.com/ if they do not have it on the website you can call them.

Like you said, you can almost buy a new laptop for what it would cost to fix yours. I would guess that you will spend about $50-$75 for a shop to install it once you get one. If you consider just getting a new one and want to continue with Dell then I would recommend that you look at the Dell Outlet store. You can find the link to it at the bottom of the main Dell.com web page.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

While you can find notebooks for $500 and under, you're not going to find one in the range of an E1705 for less than $1,000 -- though spending that $250+ on a video card is of course a gamble, since you'll get at best a 90-day warranty.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

You probably can, but remember these are proprietary parts - you'll likely pay $350-400 from Dell, and that's for a refurbished part.

940 Posts

August 12th, 2009 23:00

If you watch the outlet you can get some nice deals. I had gotten an Inspiron 1720 last year with 4gb for just over $400, I spec'd out having one built to the same config and it would have been about $1200. I just bought an XPS 630 for one of the kids about 3 weeks ago for $648 delivered I used a 15% off coupon, custom built to the same config would have been around $1400. So just watch for the deal you want at the price you like and jump on it.

No Events found!